Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Want to build a concrete basin for Manifold with drain

Hello,
I am not new to building sprinklers, not an expert, but have built a very large one previously and am about to build another large one.

I have 11 ports in my manifold and it's 5ft wide.

Here's the thing, I don't really just want to put the valves/manifold onto packed dirt. This I find isn't very clean in the long run.

Instead I think I want to put a concrete basin in with a drain. The drain pipe would go down hill away from the house.

My issue is I have never poured concrete before and I wasn't sure of the best way to do the sides, was thinking maybe a wooden box with cut outs for the pipes.

That said it would be really nice to have the concrete basin be like a basin and not just flat. I don't really know how to do it.

The slab/basin will need to be 5ft wide and about 3ft deep. I figured I would just have the pipe for the drain coming up and pour concrete around it, but wasn't sure of the best way.

Just looking for simple advice on how to go about this.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield43 View Post
Hello,
I am not new to building sprinklers, not an expert, but have built a very large one previously and am about to build another large one.

I have 11 ports in my manifold and it's 5ft wide.

Here's the thing, I don't really just want to put the valves/manifold onto packed dirt. This I find isn't very clean in the long run.

Instead I think I want to put a concrete basin in with a drain. The drain pipe would go down hill away from the house.

My issue is I have never poured concrete before and I wasn't sure of the best way to do the sides, was thinking maybe a wooden box with cut outs for the pipes.

That said it would be really nice to have the concrete basin be like a basin and not just flat. I don't really know how to do it.

The slab/basin will need to be 5ft wide and about 3ft deep. I figured I would just have the pipe for the drain coming up and pour concrete around it, but wasn't sure of the best way.

Just looking for simple advice on how to go about this.

Thanks
Pour the floor, lay the wrapped pipes in place and form around them. Brace the the walls well and pour in lifts.

Remember that most of the pressure is on the bottom of the forms and you want to strip it easily.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
lay the wrapped pipes in place
Don't you mean sleeves?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Standard valve box holds 4 Valves tightly, A jumbo holds 5. Anything more in one location means your wasteing pipe running laterals to far. Not to mention this kind of "jury rig" looks horrendous. Why would you put 11 valves in the same location? And the poor concrete around that boondoggle? Sounds like a nightmare repair job in the making to me.

Last edited by MostWantedLandscape; 07-30-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That does sound like a nightmare to repair. When you have PVC pipe's that move because of water pressure and immobile concrete your going to get chafing (and leak's) in your pipe. I know you want a cleaner area that drain's so consider large valve box's with pea gravel in the bottom for drainage.

I don't think you need that big a hole (5' x 3') but i am assuming 1" or 1-1/2" valve's. Why don't you draw a picture of the manifold you see yourself making with all part's labeled and all pipe size's shown, that would help a lot. Make a diagram of the whole system for even more help.

What kind of pressure and amount of flow do you have at the point of connection? This is important.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Agrostis,
Thank you - actually I posted a separate thread about this because MWL got me thinking. See the other thread.

I am getting 70-80 PSI but only about 9 GPM. I was worried about the GPM so I have done two test runs (one to the front and one at the back) and I am getting on four heads reliably 26-30 ft distances. When I tried 5 there wasn't enough output to make the heads run properly. This was using 3/4" pipe.

That said please look at my other post and given this additional info, see what you think.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I am pretty much talked out of doing the concrete, the idea was a nice one but gravel sounds a lot easier - thanks guys