Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2003, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow pages

A guy who works for the yellow pages seen my ad in a local newspaper and called me on it yesterday. He is selling space for ads in the yellow pages. He is coming over next Tues. with all the info. (different size ads, and such) Will it be worth it, and how much money do you think the different size ads are worth? I dont wanna get ripped off. Thankyou.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can do a search on this topic and get some answers.

Frankly, from what I can remember about this subject coming up before, not many LCO's think too highly about it as a form of advertising.

And it's expensive...that I know for sure.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Been there, done that. If you are like me, and have all the work you can handle during the mowing season, tell the salesman to stay away! I learned the hard way, and spent over $700 to get a little color ad in for a year. Word of mouth is the absolute best advertisement you can get. Phone book ads are for insurance companies and dog grooming services! Just my 2cents worth. P.S. My ad was 2 1/2 inches square white and green .
Old 02-27-2003, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, $700 a year, thats what they want for a month in the yellow pages here for a bit smaller than a 1/4 page ad.. The prices here are outrageous..
Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah $700. a year is VERY cheap. If you have a commercial phone line, your name should appear in the yellowpages anyway. i get call fron it all the time. And I don't pay for it.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-27-2003, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you want your business to go?

How much work do you want?

How much work can you add and handle doing?

All these questions should be answered first. This will help dictate where advertising costs need to be allocated.

There is no arguement that word of mouth is the BEST advertising. This isn't always enough for some companies and it also depends on your current client base. Obviously the larger your client base, the more referrals you should get. When relatively new in business you really need to hit all the bases of advertising. The more the people see your name, the more likely they will contact you. I would suggest using the yellow pages if you are wanting to grow the company and are relatively new. I'm on my third season and hope to scale it back somewhat next year. I spend $500 a month with yellow page ads. One book is a 1/4 page full color ad, and in another book it is an 1/8 page full color ad. Also, bold ads in snow plowing. We have multiple yellow pages for multiple areas. An advertising radius of about 25 to 30 miles, tops, any direction. It touches a lot of people.

So, just some things to think about. Just make sure you can handle the phone calls and do your work also. Days get real short real fast during the working season.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did that....

I had a 1/16 sized color ad one year. Cost about $1300 a year. Absolutely worthless. I think I received 30 calls all year from the yellow pages resulting in maybe 3 jobs. I do mostly maintenance, and will never get a display ad again. I receive more calls by just having the line listing. And on top of that they billed me for another year and still to this day I am not sure they got it right. Waste of money IMO.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My yellow page display ads generates a higher caliber customer (willing to pay for good service) than my news paper ads do.
I only advertise my stump grinding service. ( most are not reoccurring customers )
All my lawn customers are from customer referrals. Do good work and the word gets out.....quick.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

How many of you use the Yellow Pages when you are looking to buy something or need a special service? I use the Yellow Pages all the time.

I have had good luck with my Yellow Pages ad. It also adds some credibility to your business.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I just spent $80 per month. The new book is out April 1. I'm excited about the ad and I too think it may add credibility-especially when targeting big work like I am.