Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best way to place large rock.

I've been looking for a better way to move and set large armourstone and boulders. Does anyone have an ideal way to do this. Currently I'm using my bucket and thumb on my excavator, works ok, but can be damaging to the stone, leaves large gashes and can pull large sections off if not careful. The stones I'm referring to are about 3 to 4' long and up to 20" thick. The heavy ones weigh about a ton or so.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if cosmetics is critical we use straps or spend the time softening the gouges and scrapes. I have even tried pieces of tire between the thumb with mixed results. I know what your feeling the perfect stone, perfectly placed nice scrape right across the front. keep the ground guys safe. These stones can be scary.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took a piece of conveyor belt about 4' long, folded it in half, bolted the sides together to make a sleeve that I can quickly slide on and off the thumb on my mini. And on the bucket side I just have a guy slide another piece in as I'm clamping down.

It works pretty good and keeps the scrapes down but I'm am also interested if their is a better way without spending a lot of money for an attachment.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use braided metal cables, fabricated in town. It takes a little time to get good at using them, but there is no better way to set stones with precision. We have craned 2 ton boulders over clients houses this way.