Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big misunderstanding?

So we maintain this HOA property that includes the entrance to the neighborhood and around the pool and tennis courts. So the leader of the HOA has been picking at little things here and there over the last couple of months. He is a retired older gentlemen(not that it matters, but to kind of give you an idea). So today I get an email saying they want to cancel the part of the maintenance agreement involving the pool and tennis courts, saying they aren't happy with the maintenance. Well above the pool inbetween the tennis courts there is a hill that is full of crappy junipers and crape myrtles, with vines and crap growing all over the place and on the fence of the tennis courts. It looks really bad and I think they aren't happy with that. Well as far as maintenance goes, we keep the grass cut neatly, shrubs pruned, edged and weedeated every week. We blow off the parking lot also. I feel like the hill is more of a "cleanup" and I think they are thinking it's part of the maintenance. A couple of times we have weedeated and sprayed roundup on the hill where we can without harming the crapes and junipers. How should I handle this and what should I say to them? They want to schedule a meeting with me to discuss everything.also in the spring time I suggested pinestrawing the hill by they said they didn't want to spend the money so it kind of have me the impression that they didn't really care about it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have two HOAs I deal with and there all alike they want more for less my suggestion would be to just be honest with them your a lawn service not a landscaper unless you are or you advertise to be, if they want the hill taken care of negotiste an increase in your fees and then sub contract it to a landscaper to get the hill were you can maintain it with out to much trouble customers think just because were a lawn service thst we take care of every aspect of the property it needs to be clear at the beginning and stated in a written contract just my thoughts
Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah the hill was never discussed unfortunately. I have the means of taking care of the hill but it wasn't included in the price and honestly at this point in the season I really don't have the time. I would be happy to fix it in the fall when things slow down and for a fee but not now.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Well just be honest with them and see where it goes