Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Professional Trade Organizations

Is anybody a member of any good trade organizations? Are there any benefits?

I'm thinking of either joining PLANET (https://www.landcarenetwork.org/index.cfm) or a statewide one. I'd like to get involved in more than just my business, and learn from others. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you've got the time to get involved go for it, I have a business to run and it takes all my time and then some.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
If you've got the time to get involved go for it, I have a business to run and it takes all my time and then some.
What exactly do you think is involved in belonging to a professional organization? Most state/regional ones have maybe 3-6 meetings, workshops, or events throughout the year. The ones I'm in try to do the heavy programming in the winter. Now, if you're dumb enough to get roped into being on the board of directors, that's a time suck. If you're REALLY dumb and end up on the board for two organizations... welcome to my life.

jake, what part of the state are you in? If you're in NoVA, the Northern VA Nursery and Landscape Association is a good one. PM me for more info.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was only saying it's one more thing to take up time, not that it's not worth it, I want to join planet as well but I can't see the benefit at this time for me, I've only got five employees and we stay crazy busy most of the year.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Trade organizations are like most things in life. You will get out what you put in. You can join and put a sticker on your truck and that is probably all you will get out of it. You may appear more professional than your competition, but most of your clients will not have any idea what PLANET is.

On the other hand, if you join and take the time to get involved you will meet other experienced business owners. Those relationships with your peers will most likely help you develop a more professional, better run, and more profitable business.

CPL and PaperCutter both make great points. It is easy to get involved more than you should and lose focus on running your business.