Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

11 zones in one manifold or 6/5 in two

Hi,
In another thread I asked a question which mentioned that I am planning on putting 11 valves in one manifold.

I have carefully planned the grass zones and gotten lots of advice on this. As a result I need 4 grass zones at the back and 4 at the front.

I am planning on 3 drip zones. The property is two acres.

The suggestion was to put in two manifolds to save on pipe. This is what I did in my last 2 acre property.

However, in this case I have assumed to use just one manifold which is quite wide (5FT). It wouldn't be that hard for me to split it and put in two, one on either side. One would have 5 valves, the other 6 valves.

The downside to doing this is as follows:

1) It would mean adding an extra sleeve under the 15ft driveway - this isn't that big of a deal because I am going to rent a mole device to burrow the lines under the driveway (as a side if anyone has any advice on this I would appreciate it). But this just means applying the process in a different spot.
2) It would mean an additional backflow device (another hundred bucks)
3) It means more locations where I can get a leak
4) There is no plumbing to the outside on that side of the house and to get it there sounds like a ton of work - I am pretty sure I can access that side of the house from our storage room, but it's probably at least one day of work for me, I could hire a plumber but that would probably be at least 300+ bucks at a guess.
5) The amount of pipe I would be saving would be maybe 200ft of length of 1" pipe (so perhaps 200 bucks saved there) and maybe some a couple hundred feet for the dripper pipe, which at 1/2" would be maybe 50 bucks.

Essentially my conclusion is

1 Manifold - probably would be a wash as far as cost, if I hired a plumber to put in the copper to the other side, 1 Manifold would almost certainly be less cost.
1 Manifold - probably = 1 - 2 days less work.
1 Manifold - seems easier to maintain to me than two locations

Therefore, I am trying to understand is there any other advantage in doing two locations.

Thanks I really appreciate the help in advance, I can still go either way.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

One update, so I have confirmed there is very little savings in pipe if I put a second manifold on the other side of the house a major reason for this is due to the layout of the parking and the driveway, it would essentially be longer to go around even though its on the same side of the house.

However, 5 of my zones are essentially for a very large central area between the circular driveway. In this section, there is the water tap coming into the house. I am assuming it would be possible to ask a plumber to tap into this and install a backflow prevention device sticking several feet out of the ground? Is there any reason to not do it this way. Then I would simply install 6 valves in the original location.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you need a second backflow? One backflow, one main, multiple manifolds.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Well the thought was I would be wasting a lot of poly pipe, plus I guess you have to consider friction (it's a 2 acre property) - but I have consulted with several plumbing/sprinkler people today and they all agree that I would be better off with my 11 valve 1 backflow, 1 manifold design (it's a monster yes) but due to the layout of my land, driveways, etc. I think that remains the best plan
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never EVER ask a plumber about irrigation. You may think it is easier/cheaper, until you have to rebuild that 11 valve manifold. In the end you will do what you want, but IMO you are making it harder than it needs to be.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your reply, I wish I could agree and I am hoping if you are right you can persuade me differently. The guy I spoke to specifically focuses on backflow installation. He said to put it into the tap from the main inflow line, would require a well, a valve, drain and backflow + labor (about 1500 bucks) + a lot of electrical wire to the controller. There would be no other logical place (based on the layout of my property) to put a second manifold other than there.

By putting in the second manifold in the center between driveways, would have some positive sides (once you get over the $1,500 dollar investment) would result in me saving about 200 dollars in sprinkler pipe and having to mole 5 pipes under a 15ft driveway. It might save on a few connection points for the pipe as well (probably 5).

Keeping to the 11 valves one zone, using 1" pipe I am relatively confident I will get adequate flow (as I have already tested it).

So please please please, if you can think of how I am making this harder than it needs to be I would politely ask you to tell me how, assuming there is no other better spot for a second manifold, I just want to be absolutely sure I have the optimized plan, I have asked now maybe half a dozen people (with relative knowledge) about this and the general consensus is given the layout of my property, 11 valves, 1 manifold (with some attachable/detatchable couplings ever few 4-5 valves) is the best option.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

So I guess the one other option, which all of sudden makes sense is to run PVC out under the driveway (coming from the one main backflow), install a manifold there and run poly for the five zones there (much less poly pipe - with just one main 1" PVC line), my guess is something like that is what you are thinking?

Assuming that makes sense to you (I know officially feel like a dummy and see your point)
Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want any meaningful advice you need to post a proper to scale irrigation and hydrozone plan of your entire property. Something along the lines like this, with hydrozones included.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Probably a good idea, but I have done a lot of testing of heads and will continue to test before laying final pipe, the main issue I was struggling with was the manifold locations, which now I am growing more confident that I have figured out.

I think my main mental stupidity - mental block was not thinking through the notion of just running PVC to the areas where a manifold makes the most sense (in my case a second one between my driveways). Instead I had assumed one large manifold and lots of poly pipe, as opposed to using PVC as a main line to the second manifold. This will be much less expensive and a lot less work.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post a google earth image with poc