Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
And I really like the wall in this first install. Looks so good
Thanks. Took the time to do it right. Most time consuming parts are the base course (digging, base stone, and leveling first course) and cutting all the caps. Took me 2 hrs just cutting caps although I was by myself. Still many things I can improve on though.

As for edging on the installs, yes they are edged. Probably too much mulch down in it!! Again things to be improved! The fresh installs need more mulch that your typical trim, edge, & mulch jobs.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
Thanks. Took the time to do it right. Most time consuming parts are the base course (digging, base stone, and leveling first course) and cutting all the caps. Took me 2 hrs just cutting caps although I was by myself. Still many things I can improve on though.

As for edging on the installs, yes they are edged. Probably too much mulch down in it!! Again things to be improved! The fresh installs need more mulch that your typical trim, edge, & mulch jobs.
Yeah they definitely do. I over quote yards of mulch by at least 25% more than what I think I'll need just in case.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And two hours for cutting caps is definitely not bad. Do it right, not quick.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the 4th and 6th from the bottom, you removed seomthing that looks like an evergreen ground cover. What is that? We have a sloped side at the one end of our pool and I have been looking for something hardy to plant on that slope so I don't have to mow or mulch it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Love your work, love the edging - definately gives definition to each bed. Keep up the good work!

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

nice work. You should be proud of your work.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwwolfe View Post
In the 4th and 6th from the bottom, you removed seomthing that looks like an evergreen ground cover. What is that? We have a sloped side at the one end of our pool and I have been looking for something hardy to plant on that slope so I don't have to mow or mulch it.
I believe it's some sort of "carpet" juniper.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad day today. One job finished sub par from my norm (wasn't working with a great site which led to this). A job I did for a friend a while ago, mind you I cut him a crazy deal, is full of minor complaints. I replaced a bush that was struggling even though I told him with the significant discount he got there is no warranty any anything. But don't want to have someone bad mouth you. I think I'm done with the family/friends discounts. Pay full like everyone else or hire another contractor who is cheaper. They just aren't worth it anymore.

One last thing for myself. Schedule only 1 job per day unless the multiple job days are jobs you have done before or have multiple people helping. Price accordingly too!!! I get into this waaaaay too much. I'm too pressured to finish the first to get to the second which messes with quality. Any of these new jobs need to have a price tag minimum. I know I'll lose some but being able to give all to one job during a workday is better than cramming too much. Chasing the hundred dollar work (meaning anything 3 figures probably the $500-$700 range) just doesn't work. Too much running around and materials eating away from profits.

Sorry needed to put it in writing for myself.....
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

very nice
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Good looking work. I'm liking that mini rock bed incorporated into the mulch bed.