Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I talked my friend into buying the Ferris 3100 with the Kawasaki 37 DFI, they are taking it out or the crate and putting it together today. I gave him a list of of things to have checked before the mower is delivered. We are going to get some accurate fuel usage numbers since I've never heard them offered from anyone running this engine.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Not really, Zoysia is a really strong, durable grass, one that does not require a tremendous amount of water. Zoysia is very easy to keep weed free, the problem that can require attention is when wild Bermuda begins to invade. I worked him up a chemical program in 2011 to fight the Bermuda, and so far we've kept it at bay.

I wish they could make a hybrid zoysia that would green up sooner in the spring. We have a couple lawns that has some spots of zoysia and those areas never have any weeds. My grandmothers lawn is primarily zoysia in the front and it is weed free and a big lawn about 4 houses up from me is 70+% zoysia and it always looks incredible. The main problem is the zoysia lawns green up about 1 1/2 months later than tall fescue and it looks terrible in the winter.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I talked my friend into buying the Ferris 3100 with the Kawasaki 37 DFI, they are taking it out or the crate and putting it together today. I gave him a list of of things to have checked before the mower is delivered. We are going to get some accurate fuel usage numbers since I've never heard them offered from anyone running this engine.

I would love to hear the fuel use numbers from that monster. I wonder what ever happened to ferris around my area. There used to be a lot of them and over the last 5 years they have all but disappeared. A friend of ours had a bunch of them (much bigger company) and they have switched over to 100% exmark.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I would love to hear the fuel use numbers from that monster. I wonder what ever happened to ferris around my area. There used to be a lot of them and over the last 5 years they have all but disappeared. A friend of ours had a bunch of them (much bigger company) and they have switched over to 100% exmark.
They claim the 37 DFI is extremely powerful, but I honestly doubt it can be stronger than the big Vanguards, but one thing for sure, when Kawasaki states you are getting 37 hp, then a full 37 is what you get, not that way with the others.

I am really interested in the fuel usage numbers because I may own one myself before long.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Good to hear from you. I have a PZ 6029D purchased new 6-11-12. The mach. was mfg in Beatrice 9-22-10. Says something about volume. 279 hrs. The thing is just about the meanest kid on the block. Until recently. Shredded a hyd. pump belt that should have lasted min. of 500 hrs. Was concentrating on catching up when lower caster bearing totally self destructed messing up the caster spindle and the bearing race in the frame. We got trouble in River City.
I hate Chinese bearings.

I can't take credit for the design. A few of my suggestions may have made it into the final product but I certainly take can't take credit for the bulk of the work.

There were a couple fellas who were responsible for deck design. One Design guy and a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) guy. I believe both are still with Husqvarna. One relocated to Orangeburg, SC and the other to Charlotte, NC when they ceased operations here Beatrice.

The chassis was designed by another guy. He was also responsible for bringing the entire project together. He's a very talented guy and landed over at eXmark when Husqvarna left town.

I was just the knuckle head that beat it up, and handed it back broke. (AKA Test Engineer).

I'll be the first to admit, the PZ deck is very similar to the 7-Iron. There are certain design aspects unique to the 7-Iron and the PZ deck that are very beneficial to productivity and cut quality. I'm a bit surprised other OEM's haven't picked up on it yet. Maybe they have and we just haven't seen it yet.

As far as Deere going after Husqvarna for having a similar design, I don't think it will happen. I'm sure it's irritating to them but I don't believe the 7-Iron design was protected in any way. On the other hand, The MOD (Mulch on Demand) is pretty well protected. You probably won't see a similar design out there from a competing company.

I'm not sure what happened to the variable speed 5400 PZ or the diesel PZ. I would say it was probably a combination of issues that that did them in. My guess is a combination of low demand, technical issues, and streamlined manufacturing process. (not necessarily in that order).

BTW, the 5400 achieved the multiple speeds with a variable displacement wheel motor. The pump displacement was controlled by the levers, just like all Z's and the wheel motor displacement was controlled by the foot pedal. By decreasing the displacement of the wheel motor, you got added speed at the expense of torque.

Good to hear from you guys!

Take care,

Q[/QUOTE]
Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshank View Post
Good to hear from you. I have a PZ 6029D purchased new 6-11-12. The mach. was mfg in Beatrice 9-22-10. Says something about volume. 279 hrs. The thing is just about the meanest kid on the block. Until recently. Shredded a hyd. pump belt that should have lasted min. of 500 hrs. Was concentrating on catching up when lower caster bearing totally self destructed messing up the caster spindle and the bearing race in the frame. We got trouble in River City.
I hate Chinese bearings.
Based on the date of manufacture, sounds like that was very close to the end of production in Beatrice.

I remember dealing with pump drive alignment issues on the diesels. Make sure the pump pulleys, drive pulley and idler pulley are all lined up properly. The ribbed serpentine belt does not deal well with misalignment. Seems like I also recall tension issues. It seems to me that the belt could be slipped under load. I don't remember the specifics though. This has been 3-4 years ago for me...

The caster is a bit of a surprise to me though. I don't recall encountering any issues with them. The casters actually carry less load on a diesel PZ than on a gas powered PZ. I think I would chalk that one up to an assembly or component quality issue. The tapered roller bearings usually last a long time up there. Just make sure they are properly pre-loaded.

I agree with your opinion of "CHINA" bearings. You never know what you're gonna get. I've seen good and I've seen bad. By nature, a commercial mower should be reliable. That requires reliable components. I would never "rely" on a bearing simply marked "CHINA".

All that being said, In that particular caster support application, The spec'd load and rotational speed limits of the bearing are far above what it actually sees. So, it seems rational to expect that even a lower quality bearing would be sufficient for the application.

I hope your machine doesn't cause you too much more grief.

Good luck,

Q
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Based on the date of manufacture, sounds like that was very close to the end of production in Beatrice.

I remember dealing with pump drive alignment issues on the diesels. Make sure the pump pulleys, drive pulley and idler pulley are all lined up properly. The ribbed serpentine belt does not deal well with misalignment. Seems like I also recall tension issues. It seems to me that the belt could be slipped under load. I don't remember the specifics though. This has been 3-4 years ago for me...

The caster is a bit of a surprise to me though. I don't recall encountering any issues with them. The casters actually carry less load on a diesel PZ than on a gas powered PZ. I think I would chalk that one up to an assembly or component quality issue. The tapered roller bearings usually last a long time up there. Just make sure they are properly pre-loaded.

I agree with your opinion of "CHINA" bearings. You never know what you're gonna get. I've seen good and I've seen bad. By nature, a commercial mower should be reliable. That requires reliable components. I would never "rely" on a bearing simply marked "CHINA".

All that being said, In that particular caster support application, The spec'd load and rotational speed limits of the bearing are far above what it actually sees. So, it seems rational to expect that even a lower quality bearing would be sufficient for the application.

I hope your machine doesn't cause you too much more grief.

Good luck,

Q
Thanks so much for the info. Boy, do I wish you still worked for Husky. The thing that is really worrying me, is the race in the caster removable or do we have to get a caster housing and weld to the frame. The parts manual doesn't show anything removable from the housing. I hope Husky is willing to work with me on this. To try and catch up on my work I bought another Beatrice mach., Exmark w/31 horse Vanguard w/1000 hrs. Intend to use until I get my mach. back and then sell. I have had 2 Great Danes, A Dixie Chopper and 2 Hustlers, the 6029D, and this Exmark is the biggest piece of crap I have ever sat on. I put 1000 hrs on one of the Hustlers I had and it felt like it did when it was new. The Exmark feels like a piece of junk. I can see the attraction, it maneuvers well, doesn't tear up turf, the Vanguard is a moose, but if anyone can tell me how to make a 66" Triton cut grass, please chime in.

JimQ, again, thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. Boy, do I wish you still worked for Husky. The thing that is really worrying me, is the race in the caster removable or do we have to get a caster housing and weld to the frame. The parts manual doesn't show anything removable from the housing. I hope Husky is willing to work with me on this. To try and catch up on my work I bought another Beatrice mach., Exmark w/31 horse Vanguard w/1000 hrs. Intend to use until I get my mach. back and then sell. I have had 2 Great Danes, A Dixie Chopper and 2 Hustlers, the 6029D, and this Exmark is the biggest piece of crap I have ever sat on. I put 1000 hrs on one of the Hustlers I had and it felt like it did when it was new. The Exmark feels like a piece of junk. I can see the attraction, it maneuvers well, doesn't tear up turf, the Vanguard is a moose, but if anyone can tell me how to make a 66" Triton cut grass, please chime in.

JimQ, again, thanks for the info.
The warranty on the PZ should cover whatever they have to do to the mower. I would think that would include a new caster..
Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Total Lawncare View Post
The warranty on the PZ should cover whatever they have to do to the mower. I would think that would include a new caster..

Confident the warranty will cover. Prob. is, they can't even look at the machine for 10 days. Talk about a dealer going the extra mile. Will p/u mach. and take to another dealer. Meanwhile, if the junk Exmark holds together we'll be ok. Puppy's right. The Vanguard is impressive.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Confident the warranty will cover. Prob. is, they can't even look at the machine for 10 days. Talk about a dealer going the extra mile. Will p/u mach. and take to another dealer. Meanwhile, if the junk Exmark holds together we'll be ok. Puppy's right. The Vanguard is impressive.
What mower, or mowers are you now running?