Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have great respect for Husqvarna, their chainsaws are second to none. One can see they have talented people and innovative designs more so than any other brand.

However, Husqvarna must be a tough customer to work with. Nothing they make ever gets finished !?!?

Every piece I've owned had some sort of design issue that should have been ironed out during testing. By the time they fix the designs, that unit is no longer in production and around we go again.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
I...Every piece I've owned had some sort of design issue that should have been ironed out during testing. By the time they fix the designs, that unit is no longer in production and around we go again.
Oh, I'll bet some of their old test guys could tell you some stories!

I'll bet some of them even kept "I told you so..." notes and really enjoyed going back to them every now and again just to see how things worked out.

I'm just sayin'...

That kind of stuff makes it to production for a ton of different reasons. Sometimes the test guy actually screws up and misses something. It's usually environmental, something specific to a geographical location, or an unanticipated "mode of operation". (I once witnessed a Test Operator RIDING a W21 out in the test field... a self propelled 21"...no kidding. I fired him)

Components can change. Either a change in source or process without being revalidated.

It can be schedule related. A known issue exists but the product must go to production or a selling season will be missed.

It can be cost related. less expensive components or designs can be chosen to keep a project in budget.

I've also seen projects make it to production in spite of a bunch of people jumping up and down waving their arms saying "this thing sucks!". A rolling train is hard to stop as they say. If I had to guess, I'd say it had to do with incentives based on deliverables expected of those who made more $$$ than I did. Who knows.

Assembly related issues pop up too. The list goes on and on.

I agree with you though. There are a bunch of very dedicated and talented people there. Once the Commercial Turf Care part of the business recovers from the relocation and restaff, I expect to see great things. They have the resources to get it done. These are just the "rebuilding years".

Q
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim

My comment was not to criticize the designers, the problems I've had are too obvious. This has to be a management issue, forcing products to market too early and opting for cost-cut parts without ever holding the end-product in their hands.

I bought my first 2-stroke tool in the 90s as a teenager. It was a Husqvarna curved shaft trimmer called "Mondo" which I bought at a flower shop for $99 (I believe). Made from record few parts with some gremlins, it held up for years and years before I went in the biz and bought a commercial replacement.

Second one was a Rancher 55 chainsaw. It went through 3 oil pumps before I found an alignment issue was causing the problem (added a thin washer). I cut cords and cords of firewood each winter to get by the off-season. In my opinion the 55 was way better than stihl's farmboss, sadly it got stolen.

Third was a residential 21" mower with a Briggs Intek 70 engine. The OEM blade cut like crap, a few plastics broke off the first week and every bearing wore out within a year. Once fixed the thing held up for ~1000 hrs before I gave it to a relative which still uses it to this day.

Next is a residential hedge trimmer (123) with a Maruyama engine. The engine ran so rich/stressed when the blades ran dry it would smoke like a dirt bike and my shirt smelled like a catalyst. Finally did a muffler mod on it and runs like a champ. For the money it's way better than a Stihl HS45.

Finally I have a commercial 21" mower (W21) bought used. Weighs a ton, height adjusters were horrible, gear selector lever was down on the deck (added cable control) and control bails were tiresome to use (switched both and now works like a treat). It is now the best 21" I have ever owned (between Toro commercial, Snapper HiVac, Honda HRS and Deere 14SB).

I can only assume this PZ is just as the other ones. It's 80% finished with 20% gremlins left to iron out.

I will say it again, Husqvarna must have talented people. Most products are designed in the right direction, not over-engineered (like some Stihls), nor difficult to work on (like some Honda puzzles) and good value for the money.

Sadly it's those 20% that ruin the confidence in the product and the image of the company. Please do not rush stuff into production, please listen to your customers and please please stop using worn out machinery to produce mowers (some parts are horribly out of tolerance).

Regards.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 08-18-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What mower, or mowers are you now running?
I have a broke PZ6029D Husqvarna and a Exmark Laser Z w/Triton deck and a little over 1000 hours that I bought on the fly to get me out of a bind. I am not a commercial cutter, but I cut my church w/cemetery along with a house that the church owns, another cemetery, a religious retreat center, the VFW property and my5 acres. There is no one else to do it, which at my age is a scary thought. I am very disappointed in the Husky. I like it but I can't depend on it. The problems can be fixed, but I have to find someone who gives a hoot.

Observations - I have refused to buy an Exmark just because I didn't want to admit that everyone else was right and I was wrong. I have read here that the Husky deck is similar to the John Deere. The Husky deck cuts as good as Triton but clumps. The Triton disperses clippings like a carpet. 2 Great Danes, a Dixie Chopper, 2 Hustlers and the Husky, and a beat up Exmark tops them all. My ideal would be my old Hustler w/ a Ultra Cut or a 7 Iron.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshank View Post
I have a broke PZ6029D Husqvarna and a Exmark Laser Z w/Triton deck and a little over 1000 hours that I bought on the fly to get me out of a bind. I am not a commercial cutter, but I cut my church w/cemetery along with a house that the church owns, another cemetery, a religious retreat center, the VFW property and my5 acres. There is no one else to do it, which at my age is a scary thought. I am very disappointed in the Husky. I like it but I can't depend on it. The problems can be fixed, but I have to find someone who gives a hoot.

Observations - I have refused to buy an Exmark just because I didn't want to admit that everyone else was right and I was wrong. I have read here that the Husky deck is similar to the John Deere. The Husky deck cuts as good as Triton but clumps. The Triton disperses clippings like a carpet. 2 Great Danes, a Dixie Chopper, 2 Hustlers and the Husky, and a beat up Exmark tops them all. My ideal would be my old Hustler w/ a Ultra Cut or a 7 Iron.
Interesting observation on the Husky deck vs the Triton. There are hundreds of post on this board that say the Triton Decks were horrible and yours is the first one I've read that says the Husky clumps..

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

my pz6034 clumps!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landers lawn View Post
my pz6034 clumps!!!
What kind of cutting conditions?

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

every 7 days early morning dew. freaking sucks!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landers lawn View Post
every 7 days early morning dew. freaking sucks!!!
Type of grass? Cutting height?

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer