Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post

I heard there was a chemical that could persist for a year or so if it was to contaminate compost,,, but I can't remember what it was...

Possibly Confront?

I had thought of doing a service like this before. Obviously it provides the very best possibility of seed germination and filling in very bad lawns. But I know the cistomers in this area would never go for the added expense. I have actually in over 30 years never seen this done around this area. Is this fairly common in other areas of the country?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I heard there was a chemical that could persist for a year or so if it was to contaminate compost,,, but I can't remember what it was...
Missed this earlier. I think you're thinking of Clopyralid, which is in Millennium Ultra II. Riggle schooled me on that in the gentlest of ways when I was new here. It is not labeled for lawns and I don't do lawns, so I was unfamiliar and unconcerned with the distinction.

DOH! I now see clopyralid is in Confront too. I have never used Confront. ProStreet had it right.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

foreplease, the Ecolawn has two wheels up front and one in the rear. As the two front wheels go up the ramp, you have to lift the rear handle bar/rear tire up to drive the machine into it's carrier. Sounds a little tricky....but it's not too bad.

I had a friend extend the ramps 15 inches to make the ramp pitch not a steep.

Usually I load and unload the Ecolawn off in the street, so when I load the Ecolawn....it's even with their driveway to make reloading easy and quick.

I will have to take a picture of the new ramps with the extensions. It turned out really nice.

The organic composting/core aeration has stopped right now....we were already getting flurries today....the high was 38 degrees.
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
foreplease, the Ecolawn has two wheels up front and one in the rear. As the two front wheels go up the ramp, you have to lift the rear handle bar/rear tire up to drive the machine into it's carrier. Sounds a little tricky....but it's not too bad.

I had a friend extend the ramps 15 inches to make the ramp pitch not a steep.

Usually I load and unload the Ecolawn off in the street, so when I load the Ecolawn....it's even with their driveway to make reloading easy and quick.

I will have to take a picture of the new ramps with the extensions. It turned out really nice.

The organic composting/core aeration has stopped right now....we were already getting flurries today....the high was 38 degrees.
The new 200s have two rear wheels. I'm currently using the 100 but a after demoing the 200 I will be getting that in a few months
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This service is something I have always had interest in. Are there companies that do bark blowing in your service areas that are in competition with running a top dressing machine.

A major player Co. here will shoot a average smaller lawn with EKO compost for $600-$800 roughly 1/2" of material. I've seen the work and frankly there is too much wood product in the standard EKO compost for my likings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In My Area....northern IL....no one does this organic compost spreading.

And I don't think there are any....and if so....maybe one bark blower???? But I am not sure???

I am still working some bugs out and need to redo My Website to explain better to customers the advantages of an organic yard.

I feel the best is to have a "Bridge System"....where you use "organic processes" for about 90 to 95 % for Lawn Care. The other 5 to 10% would be weed control....where you either spot spray and or burn/torch weeds...then spread organic compost/reseed those areas.

Most customers don't mind the spot spraying of weeds.

But what I've seen so far....with Organics you will get some weeds....but most customer's don't mind....since they are helping out the earth by using less chemicals.

Here's the pictures of the extended ramps for loading the Ecolawn Spreader. I painted them red to see them a little bit better. And the two front tires have no problem riding up the ramps to the carrier with the extra length now.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh wow!!! That must be something they've just changed with the two rear wheels on the Ecolawn 200. I know I got one of the 1st one's, so it must be an update.

I haven't had any problems with the single rear wheel. I did get tubes installed in both the two front wheels. It had a slow leak in one of the tires...so once I got the tubes installed....that has eliminated that problem.

With the single rear wheel I've never had a problem with the machine wanting to tip over. And I only fill the hopper to the top....and don't try to overload it when I'm spreading.

Plus, I usually charge the customer per hopper. This also helps me keep track of how far I am spread a cubic yard = 3 hopper fulls.

But having two rear wheels would help keep the machine more stable....but I haven't had any problems with the single rear wheel.

Good luck and I think you will like your new Ecolawn 200 a lot!!! And as long as you can get a good supply of compost....you've gotten yourself into a nice niche market.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your ramps loom good, Rick. I am thinking about an aluminum ramp modification project this winter. I use 4 to load a mower and small tractor. My little Jacobsen tractor has spit the ramps out from under me now 3 times while backing onto the trailer. I am a slow learner. Think I am going to try tying them together underneath with a piece of pipe I can run through brackets once they are in place. I don't really have anything to tie off the cables that came with the ramps.

Reddens, I agree with Rick. I think you have set yourself up for a nice niche market where you are going to be able to show great results. It would be great if you could find a few jobs next to homes that had a couple loads of 'black dirt' dumped in the driveway or on the lawn itself as your new method is going to run circles around theirs.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone consider having an alternate hopper for their Eco-Lawn? Something like this with a hinged dump. Really the only thing you'd have to take out is the tiller attachment in front. Just a passing thought is all.
Attached Images