Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW_692 View Post
i would rather do the job for 25 bucks then walk away cause they can't afford me. 25 bucks is better than going back home for nothing. at that price you can just enjoy the cutting and see the yard transform into nicely cut. that 25 bucks is gas for the machine and your truck.

you can make money when the guy is impressed and you have him as a steady customer.
I rather walk away go trim shrubs If had to mow lawns for 25
I was at 25 for lawns but that was in the 80s
I have family down there and they tried luck in mowing They said was to hard to make a good living The market was bad
They told me it wasnt nothing to see 50-75 different mowing crews each day
Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond32176 View Post
I meant the demos. I've used backpack blowers before. I was just wondering if you had to put down a deposit, or credit card, or something elsewhere before they turn you loose with their equipment.
I'm not sure, about your area. But, I buy all my stuff from two places and they're lenient, with me. They know if I'm there looking at a piece of equipment, chances are I'm buying.

Quote:
It's a lot harder to grow a customer base without customers than it is with them. Try being 18 again with an old lawn tractor, a 13 year old truck, and a utility trailer trying to charge top professional rates for a 2 hour job in the middle of a low income neighborhood and tell me how successful you are. You have to start somewhere and If I listened to people like you, I would have spent that day sitting on my ass doing nothing, instead of being outside and proving my abilities and attempting to establish a business. That costs a lot more than knocking down some weeds. I already have funds saved for wear and tear and know more goes into it than $3 for gas. Every little use degrades equipment a little bit more, but that's why you buy decent stuff and perform this thing called routine maintenance.

Honestly, I feel like I spend more time defending myself on this forum than I do learning how to run a business.

And you can try ragging on a $25 service, but when you don't know the lawn, the area, or anything about the local pricing, you're just going to make yourself look like an ass. Good job.
Keep plugging away! This country needs more guys like you.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Name:  IMAG0420.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  55.8 KBName:  IMAG0421.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  62.1 KB One I did last week.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Looks good. I'm surprised you didn't use a tractor or a rough cut at first. You just went slow and the mower handled it all fine?

And for anyone still trying to figure out my pricing, it was $50 for the first knock down and $100 paid up front for the next month. Once it's back down to the 15 minute typical yard, it will be at the exact price a pro would charge. I know because I've worked with pros and have seen what they do and what they charge in this area.

Last edited by Ormond32176; 08-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I am not following I guess.... he paid your mowing fee for the month.. but according to your $25 price per cut you indicate you usually charge... that is maybe a $100 bill..... but you have already admitted you would charge $250 for the cleanup.... SO.... now you have done the $250 clean up... plus the next four cuts he has paid you for....at $25 each. That would be $350 in my pocket.... And You are saying $3..... and $0 for your labor.... I don't work for free. And if you truly figure your cost.... it goes much deeper than the $3 in gas you spent. Count the life of your mower.. belts, blades, oil, tires, trimmer string, trimmer oils, filters, INSURANCE, etc... your cost is way more than $3. I am not trying to bash .... but rather help you realize... you wont be around long doing this... get a handle on what it takes to make money... not just thinking you are... I promise.. if you sit down and really look at the bottom line... you will see....
I second that. I don't do anything for free.

Last edited by RSLM&LS; 08-04-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLM&LS View Post
I second that. I don't do anything for free.
It wasn't free... What I mean by $0/hr is that I had nothing else going on that even had the chance to yield a profit while I was working on this. If I wasn't working on this property, I would have been making $0/hr. I wouldn't have been working on a $70 cut, or anything else at this time.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's a lot harder to grow a customer base without customers than it is with them. Try being 18 again with an old lawn tractor, a 13 year old truck, and a utility trailer trying to charge top professional rates for a 2 hour job in the middle of a low income neighborhood and tell me how successful you are. You have to start somewhere and If I listened to people like you, I would have spent that day sitting on my ass doing nothing, instead of being outside and proving my abilities and attempting to establish a business. That costs a lot more than knocking down some weeds. I already have funds saved for wear and tear and know more goes into it than $3 for gas. Every little use degrades equipment a little bit more, but that's why you buy decent stuff and perform this thing called routine maintenance.

Honestly, I feel like I spend more time defending myself on this forum than I do learning how to run a business.

And you can try ragging on a $25 service, but when you don't know the lawn, the area, or anything about the local pricing, you're just going to make yourself look like an ass. Good job.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Grow up and run your business like an adult. If you want to be successful then maybe you should take a step back and listen to what we are giving u **** for. When I was 18 I had a BUSINESS. You are just some kid with a mower running around and low balling bids to make a quick buck. Get a license, pay your taxes, and then you might get some respect.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$210.00 Took 3 hours with my 2004 36" Lesco mower
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Grow up and run your business like an adult. If you want to be successful then maybe you should take a step back and listen to what we are giving u **** for. When I was 18 I had a BUSINESS. You are just some kid with a mower running around and low balling bids to make a quick buck. Get a license, pay your taxes, and then you might get some respect.
I don't know how I am low balling bids when there are no other bidders. These are lawns that have had people come out for an estimate and walked away from. Basically, I'm doing the crap work that you guys don't want to do, so that I can afford to get licensed, insured, and do it right when the time comes. It would be borderline stupid for me to spend over $1000 on setting a business up as an llc, getting a $1m insurance policy and business licenses etc., before even knowing if the area is too saturated to even get a single lawn. I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, and am open to constructive criticism, but straight up insults piss me off a little bit.

Wildstarblazer, that looks like it came out really well.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
It wasn't free... What I mean by $0/hr is that I had nothing else going on that even had the chance to yield a profit while I was working on this. If I wasn't working on this property, I would have been making $0/hr. I wouldn't have been working on a $70 cut, or anything else at this time.
you wouldn't have been doing anything else?? It doesn't matter what you would have been doing had you not been on the job. It is that mentality that people will exploit you for. It doesn't matter whether you could be doing a $700 job or a $10 job or playing Xbox live. Your time on a job needs to come with a price. You need to protect your person because no one else is going to.