Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting rid of crab grass

So I have never gotten into renovating lawns, but Im going to try it this fall into next spring and need some help. Im working on several yards that are 80-90%crab grass 5% random weeds and 5% grass (this is all me guessing)
So from what I gather I need to put down a winter fertilizer in october then, before spring comes put down a crab grass/weed preventive. What else am I missing as im sure seasoned pro's may have some tips to elaborate on what else is needed
Thank you
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you going to be putting down grass seed? if so this fall or spring? You should not use standard crabgrass preventer with new grass seed as it will keep your new grass seed from germinating, you will need to use a product like tenacity. Also a starter fert.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyike View Post
Are you going to be putting down grass seed? if so this fall or spring? You should not use standard crabgrass preventer with new grass seed as it will keep your new grass seed from germinating, you will need to use a product like tenacity. Also a starter fert.
Im not sure on the grass seed, thats kind of why I was asking, should I put grass seed at some point? like into next summer
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

To be honest with you the % of grass to crabgrass you are talking about will only get better if you redo the whole yard, burn it down, re-grade, and then sod or seed, I do not know where you live, but as long as you are redoing the lawn, throw irrigation in it at the same time, because the HO will never water new grass and will tell you he is watering all the time. JMO
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyike View Post
To be honest with you the % of grass to crabgrass you are talking about will only get better if you redo the whole yard, burn it down, re-grade, and then sod or seed, I do not know where you live, but as long as you are redoing the lawn, throw irrigation in it at the same time, because the HO will never water new grass and will tell you he is watering all the time. JMO
That would be the best thing to do but im looking for a solution that doesnt involve burning and regrading or maybe its not possible without burning i dunno?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're destined to fail. You need to completely renovate those yards and there's many ways to do it. If you do not plant new seed, there's no use in a winterizer as it will only feed the 80% to 90% Crabgrass (which is going to die with the first frost), the 5% weeds and the 5% grass. There's nothing "good" there so why bother? Do some research on planting/maintaining a lawn before you jump in to this type of business and if you're going to plant seed, your best time of year is coming up to get this done.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry when I said burn it down I meant to kill everything with roundup and start over, that lawn is to far gone, if it is more than 50% crabgrass you take that away what is left?????????? <50% right??? what likes to grow in bare ground, yep weeds and crabgrass.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What state do you live in?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
What state do you live in?
Virginia

So, if I were to just put down grass seed this fall, would that do much good at all.... just re seed the entire yard?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want to do that see my first post... You are going to have a hard time getting enough grass to germinate through all that existing crabgrass.