Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Out of Business in NE Ohio due to Thieves!

Through steel security doors, dead bolts, padlocked overhead doors, some jerks made off with $61,000 in equipment. Truck, trailer, two Z's, aerator, 2-cycle equipment, and tons of other stuff, gone overnight. Other than Craigslist, Ebay, Equipment Trader, and Ohio Farm and Dairy, does anyone know of any on-line classified or auction sites in NE Ohio where I can look for my stuff?

Brian
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm hoping it was all insured....

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, all insured. Fortunately the equipment was insured up to 'replacement cost', so I can be replaced relatively easily once the claim is settled. Unfortunatley the truck will be depreciated and I can't afford another new truck payment right now. I just really want to catch these guys!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry and good luck. Get yourself a decent used truck. I love a nice 2nd gen Dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that. I also got my equipment stolen back in April. Who do you have insurance with? Mine won't provide replacement coverage. Every company I've spoken with depreciates all equipment therefore anything older than a few years they won't pay enough for much help.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hate to hear about your stuff, but I would also keep an eye on the pawn shops...If they stole all that stuff and they are smart (God I hope their not) then they won't be selling that stuff around town. Good Luck and hope you get them, kick em in the face for me when you find out who did it!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lessons learned...

All that security, and you didn't write down the serial numbers of your equipment,
now don't get me wrong but if you were to find one or more of these, how would
you prove they were truly yours?
Legally speaking, there is nothing you can do unless you can prove it's yours.
Looks to be yours and appearances alone may not be enough.

That was my biggest problem when I had my blower stolen, is I couldn't tell from the side of the road which
one was mine, certainly a streak of some wild color spray paint would have helped greatly but even then...

Walk up to a thief I know is holding my equipment...
What do I say to the guy?

I say it's mine, he says it's not!
And what if it isn't?

Say six months pass by, the equipment gets sold and is being used daily getting more wear and tear put on
until I drive past and spot what looks to be one of my pieces one day.
With a few more scratches than were there, how can I still be 100% sure it's mine?

Thief or rightful owner, I approach and politely confront the man, then he (also politely) tells me he bought this
piece of equipment in 2003 which he has owned ever since he started his business!
Coincidence that it happens to be the same year and model as the one I had stolen, or is it his or mine?
Whom does it really belong to, and how can I tell?

Legally, there is nothing I can do unless I can prove it's mine.

To all of you who still have your stuff:
Take a pad and pen, and walk around right now and write down the make, model, and serial number of every thing you own!
Then keep that information in a safe place.

Last edited by topsites; 07-28-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueblue108 View Post
Yes, all insured. Fortunately the equipment was insured up to 'replacement cost', so I can be replaced relatively easily once the claim is settled. Unfortunatley the truck will be depreciated and I can't afford another new truck payment right now. I just really want to catch these guys!

That sucks! Sorry to hear. Are you worried about your Insurance carrier raising the premium after this claim?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's messed up about a situation like this is theft is actually a "strike" against you in the eyes of the insurance company. Only thing that doesn't count as a "strike" are acts of God. It blows but I'd check with every pawn shop in your area within like 50-75 mile radius. Dewalt has a unit out now called the MobileLock you might look into. It certainly wont prevent them from stealing your stuff but it will definately help you find it.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com
Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks man. Do you have any pics of your rig? I'm only 20 minutes south of you, I could keep my eye out for you. I use to work for a big company just north of you and when they got their truck and trailer stolen, the thiefs just abandoned the truck and trailer and took the equipment. Best of Luck to ya!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures

Tags
auction , classifieds , stolen , thief , thieves