Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hedge Trimming Estimate

Im thinking 185 does that sound like a good range? They want the screen in the 4th pic to be trimmed but I dont think there is much to trim there so im gonna recommend leave it as is, and just remove the branches that are invading into the screen. If they agree not to trim the screen how much should I charge for the job?
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sounds cheap I don't know your area
how many guys ? How many hours you figure?
Your screen needs be trimmed so it grows thicker and fills the voids
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
sounds cheap I don't know your area
how many guys ? How many hours you figure?
Your screen needs be trimmed so it grows thicker and fills the voids
well it would just be me im new to the business owner side and pricing. Im thinking 3 hours but maybe 4. How much would you charge? I also need the work so keep that in mind, its so late in the summer and im hurting for accounts I got 3 this season one never paid me, so I cut him off. MY area is highly competitive as I learned this year by getting shot down on most of my bids.

From what I understand for screens is trim them young to produce a thicker fuller screen. Im was thinking this screen is already mature and wont respond that well to the trimming. But I can be wrong, let me know.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge a (3 hr) minimum of $85 per hr+hauling away any debris. If debris was light, I'd charge $350 or less for this job. If I'm on a ladder trimming, My price is higher because its more dangerous work. I have phased out the under two hour hedge trimming jobs because there is no good profit to be made. Those one hr jobs were killing me $ wise.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea I agree with above, at least 300. I would be around 350 as well. I know for me by myself it takes two times longer to pick up the clippings than it does to trim the bush. My first job like this I got burned because I thought I could be in and out. Trimming took about 45 min but I ended up taking twice as long to pick up and then go back and clean up the small stuff.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate bushes, you have to price accordingly or you will lose money. It is not like a lawn estimate, and all those bushes are overgrown and will need to be re shaped.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies Im gonna raise my price to around 250 plus tax, just because im sick of getting rejected by jobs. 250 is better than nothing. I really need the job im hurting for work.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wondering what your equipment is for this. That tall one will be a chore from a ladder. Do you have an articulated trimmer? Are you cleaning up and hauling the clippings? Do you have to pay a dump fee? Working from a ladder and swinging a gas hedge trimmer will wear your arms out quick. I think your $250 is a good quote, I'd be just over $300 but can wslk away from work I dont want. I'd bet some yahoo will do it for $15 an hour and quote about $150 or less, good luck, it is difficult in the beginning
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd be in the lower 400. But with experience in pruning comes higher price. You always prune more than you think when things like this are way overgrown. By yourself, to do it right, I'm betting you'll be there about 6 hours with clean up.
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
wondering what your equipment is for this. That tall one will be a chore from a ladder. Do you have an articulated trimmer? Are you cleaning up and hauling the clippings? Do you have to pay a dump fee? Working from a ladder and swinging a gas hedge trimmer will wear your arms out quick. I think your $250 is a good quote, I'd be just over $300 but can wslk away from work I dont want. I'd bet some yahoo will do it for $15 an hour and quote about $150 or less, good luck, it is difficult in the beginning
I priced it at 275 I also gave the option for hauling and dumping for a fee of 40 dollars just because I really rather leave onsite. I have all the tools needed to complete the job. Maruyama 30' Trimmers and articulated trimmers (ill borrow from my dad). I figured to price at 275 and if needed I can lower it to 250. Thanks im having a very rough first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
I'd be in the lower 400. But with experience in pruning comes higher price. You always prune more than you think when things like this are way overgrown. By yourself, to do it right, I'm betting you'll be there about 6 hours with clean up.
I was thinking 6 hours, but even at 6 hours $45 an hour is better than nothing.