Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Trying to diagnose a problem with wiring

I am working on a 12 zone system at a commercial building. On 4 of the zones, when one gets power, all 4 get power, but none of those 4 will activate the zone. The rest of the zones work fine. When I switch one of the none working zones to one on the controller that I know works, the same thing happens, (the 4 zones get power, but don't work). The valves are all good. For some reason on those 4, if you touch the ground wire you get shocked.

I am unfamiliar with irrigation systems. We took over a contract that requires us to care for the irrigation system as well as the mowing, etc. I know basics about wiring. I have a crew that knows how to do repairs, but not wiring problems.

How are the ground wires run?

I'm thinking that when these 4 zones get activated that the pos is touching the neg somewhere.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is kind of out of your depth. Do you even own a multimeter to measure resistances with?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read a book or something basic how to on the internet to famliarize yourself with basic wiring. The Major companies will provide you with this. Then go from there. After you do this.

Figure out why 4 are getting power when only 1 zone is on? This doesn't sound right.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
I am working on a 12 zone system at a commercial building. On 4 of the zones, when one gets power, all 4 get power,
you don't say which zones. first 4? Last 4? Consecutive or not? When you are asking for advice online the more details the better.
Quote:
but none of those 4 will activate the zone.
What are your measurements? This situation requires all three R-E-I in order to begin analyzing the field and controller. Especially this one.
Quote:
The rest of the zones work fine. When I switch one of the none working zones to one on the controller that I know works, the same thing happens, (the 4 zones get power, but don't work).
Are you saying that only the 4 station terminals get hot at once or that those same 4 zone wires get hot?
Quote:
The valves are all good. For some reason on those 4, if you touch the ground wire you get shocked.
Once again, when do you get shocked? only when the zone should be running or all the time?

I am unfamiliar with irrigation systems. We took over a contract that requires us to care for the irrigation system as well as the mowing, etc. I know basics about wiring. I have a crew that knows how to do repairs, but not wiring problems.

How are the ground wires run?

I'm thinking that when these 4 zones get activated that the pos is touching the neg somewhere.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.[/QUOTE]

First i would measure the voltage (E) the current (I) and then remove the wires and measure the resistance (R) in that order.

From there you can begin eliminating possibles.

You could have a clock, transformer or faceplate issue (E), a direct short (I) or ground issue (R).

Perform the testing or find someone with the knowledge to test the system and shadow them.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is power to ground this was done Mostlikely intentionally by the last contractor. You need a multi meter
Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Their is power to ground this was done Mostlikely intentionally by the last contractor.
What makes you think that? Is it from a personal experience that you had? Just curious.
Quote:
You need a multi meter
I am glad that i am not alone in that thought.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

First thought is a damaged common in the field.... but that's without being on site to see it for myself.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
What makes you think that? Is it from a personal experience that you had? Just curious.
I am glad that i am not alone in that thought.

No never experienced a intentionally disabled system but I know significantly more about electronics than I actualy know about irragation the sinister side of me suggests it was intentional
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its been 6 days since the op's last post so i guess this thread goes down as another..........
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Waste of time