Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sooty mold and white flies on crepe myrtles

Noticed both on my crepes last week. Sprayed bifen with a little surfactant. It took care of the sooty mold but I still see some flu sacks on the bottom of the leaves.

What else will be good? Another repeat app?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how resistant the white flies are. Some are easy to control, some are near impossible. If they keep coming back you could try azatrol, makes the plant taste bad.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use Neem oil
Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Noticed both on my crepes last week. Sprayed bifen with a little surfactant. It took care of the sooty mold but I still see some flu sacks on the bottom of the leaves.

What else will be good? Another repeat app?
I have "thrin" resistant whitefly here. Orthene + LI 700 still works. So does straight horticultural oil without any thrins added. Adding a "thrin" makes things worse because it kills the predators that would help control the whitefly. Oil by itself is not that harsh on beneficial insects. Azadiractin EC is good as an IGR. Whitefly can also be neonicotinoid resistant as well. If not, Merit or Safari are possibilities. Safari goes up faster. Arena is even faster if the whitefly is not resistant.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have "thrin" resistant whitefly here. Orthene + LI 700 still works. So does straight horticultural oil without any thrins added. Adding a "thrin" makes things worse because it kills the predators that would help control the whitefly. Oil by itself is not that harsh on beneficial insects. Azadiractin EC is good as an IGR. Whitefly can also be neonicotinoid resistant as well. If not, Merit or Safari are possibilities. Safari goes up faster. Arena is even faster if the whitefly is not resistant.
Sounds like you have the Q biotype. Judo and tristar work on them also. On my poinsettias so far all I've found that keeps the buggers away is azatrol once a week.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Judo yes. Sanmite yes. Tristar no. Tristar is a neonicotinoid. I do not think it is Q type so much as whitefly that is subject to pesticide mis application and misuse. Not rotating MOA and not applying for efficacy is what caused this resistance problem. Too many people in the business spray a mix of Talstar and Merit with a low pressure hand sprayer on shrubs and hedges. 10 years ago, Merit applied once a year as a soil injection would keep trees and shrubs whitefly free. A single spraying with a "thrin" would knock down an existing infestation. Now that is not the case any more.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it's not too big of a tree try soapy water and blast clean with a hose.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Judo yes. Sanmite yes. Tristar no. Tristar is a neonicotinoid. I do not think it is Q type so much as whitefly that is subject to pesticide mis application and misuse. Not rotating MOA and not applying for efficacy is what caused this resistance problem. Too many people in the business spray a mix of Talstar and Merit with a low pressure hand sprayer on shrubs and hedges. 10 years ago, Merit applied once a year as a soil injection would keep trees and shrubs whitefly free. A single spraying with a "thrin" would knock down an existing infestation. Now that is not the case any more.
Don't know about HI but the Q type was first identified on the continental US in 2004, about 10 years ago. http://agrilife.org/etipm/files/2011...rowerTalks.pdf Ecke ranch lists tristar as 90% effective on poinsettias. I agree it is critical to rotate MOA. The azatrol has been my salvation with the poinsettias, no damage to crop and nearly no white flies either. Apparently they prefer to starve rather than feed on treated plants. I've lost 2 crops due to these critters and feel like I could write a very long list of strategies that no longer work. Came in on a shipment of cuttings about 5 years ago.