Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Push Mower Discussion

I did use the search function and nothing popped up from any new and recent post, so I wanted to start an open discussion and would love to learn from you guys experience. What push mowers do you have experience with and think produce the best or "best looking" clean cut? I want to start ordering some new tools soon as I've been saving a good amount up each week from working long hours.

I'm looking into this pusher with a 21" cut, with the self propelled 3-speed variable setup, with a bagging feature? What do you guys think? Any other good options that can beat this one in the $400.-$500. range?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-...3#.UdmRoPmgX7d

Here's what else is on my list:

http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...utmk=217034832

http://www.stihldealer.net/productde..._utmk=45651810

http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...tprods-52.aspx
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best Push Mower Discussion

I like the exmark 21" after a few warranty issues it seems to be good. I payed $1200. For it but I was tired of spending money on the other models.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a troy bilt push mower. 21" mulcher with bagger and self propelled with electric start option which i lost the charger for. still runs great and cuts clean. I bought it when u was like 14 or 15 i believe and i'm 21 now and i still use it on smaller accounts. Got it for like 350 bucks i think.

You can get a back pack blower for cheaper than that. I have a four stroke troy bilt and it was 200 bucks and it works great. i do fall clean up with it as well and it works good. Starts first pull every single time. had that a couple years as well. the most important thing is that it's super light! it's like the weight of the one you posted.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for both of your responses. Also do either of you or anyone else know anything about this Honda Machine? Look like a good setup? I was reading the reviews on a few different sites. It seems as if there have been hundreds of positive reviews and of course a few negatives like everything else. But we all know some people put more wear and tear and some people also don't keep up with their machines maintenance as well as others.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

looks like a nice mower. I like the handle idea to switch between modes.

Heck, i used this weed eater push mower that sat out in the rain with no air filter on it for a long while and it worked and cut through any grass length like a monster! Found it for free ha

you could find a mint used one for half the price of that and it'll work just as good
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a good mower. I have the hrx series but only use a 21" very little on properties with extremely small gates.

As far as the other equipment buying commercial is the only way to go if you plan on staying in the business. Get yourself the biggest commercial backpack blower you can afford if you plan on doing cleanups/leaves. If youre deadset on stihl get the br600. Small blowers will cost you money.

Homeowner equipment isn't gonna last long and then you're paying again for real equipment. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 07-07-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is my 4th season.

I started with a Toro Super Recycler SR4 because I couldn't afford a commercial push mower. That said, at this point I can afford one, but I'm still not convinced I need one.

I KNOW that a commercial mower will last longer, but really, I've not had any problems with mine and since I work solo, I don't need to worry about anyone beating the heck out of them. Them? Yes, I liked the SR4 so much, I bought another one at the end of last season on clearance so that I'd have an identical backup mower "just in case".

I like it for its ease of use, light weight, and mulching. I don't recommend it if you bag a lot of tall grass, as it clogs before the bag fills, but mowing "normal" grass isn't an issue.
It also allows me to side discharge if needed. I don't need to often, but when I do I CAN. Most commercial 21" mowers I've seen don't have that option.
(The Toro "Commercial 21" does have side discharge, but not the "21" Heavy Duty")

Personal Pace self propel has known issues and many scoff at it, but I love the ease of operation. I mowed my neighbor's lawn and used her mower (Lawnboy) and the need to lift up a bar to get it to go drove me nuts. The Personal Pace is leaps and bounds easier to operate.

My biggest issue with it is replacing rear wheels, as they only seem to last 2 seasons. (that will obviously depend on how much you use it)

It may not be the best mower for YOU, but it works for me.

I bought a 36" Ferris dual hydro walk behind last spring. That was a big help for larger properties, but I still use the Toro a lot since many of my lawns are not suited for a walk behind.

As for the trimmer you have listed, I have one and have been mostly happy with it. I find it a bit heavy (I'm not a big guy), but I've grown used to it.
Plenty of power - MORE than you need for normal trimming and generally enough for some semi-heavy work.
The ability to swap heads is a plus and I have both the edger attachment and the articulating hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer attachment was worth every penny and I use it a LOT.

As echo mentioned above, when looking at backpacks - go big.
I was given this advice... "Find the most powerful blower you can afford and get the next one up from THAT!"
It was good advice. I was going to get something "middle of the road", but decided on the Echo PB-770T since it was Echo's most powerful model. My dealer sold it to me for $430 - it lists for $499.
I've not used any other backpacks, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm happy with it. The padding is comfortable and if will move some debris with a vengeance.

I worked my first two seasons with only a hand held blower. It wasn't an issue for simply blowing off light clippings from walks/drives, and I still use it a lot for that rather than dragging out the backpack, but if you need to move leaves, you need a backpack.
They also help with dispersing clippings on a lawn if you get "clumps" cutting an overgrown lawn - something a hand held is not well suited for.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you need 2 -1 toro -1 snapper hi vac. anything less than the full comm models is a waist of $. i comm will out last 20 home depot cheapies. toro for grass -snapper for leaf cleanup
Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
you need 2 -1 toro -1 snapper hi vac. anything less than the full comm models is a waist of $. i comm will out last 20 home depot cheapies. toro for grass -snapper for leaf cleanup
This is the best 21 on the market commercial or not. Honda HRX217vka. Mulches and bags excellent. I would then buy an old used Snapper hi vac for side discharging. I have owned many mowers. I currently have an Ex mark 30. A Colombia 21 with Honda engine. The Honda HRX is the best. I've owned Toro commercial 21s and they ate too heavy and limited.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro commercial 21 will last you a long time. The one before my current one was 12 years old it did not die it got stolen. One engine rebuild when it was a two stroke then converted it to Honda power about year ten plenty of drive belts but that is about it. That mower went thru h Katrina and was under 6 feet of water. Pulled her apart cleaned it greased it and put new rings in it and was using it the next day. They will last if you take care of them. The only other one that I ever thought of buying was that y bravo. Nobody sold them in my area until this spring. Won't spend that much on a little mower without seeing it in person.

I know the toro has no side discharge. It is fine because you should not cut garbage anyway. You never make money on those jobs because you beat the crap out of your tools.