Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Start calling you the Grease Guerilla !
Been called worse.... ;-)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
So does Hustler, have no idea what Gene is talking about, you keep grease in the cavity and you should stay pretty much trouble free. I've never owned a Hustler Super Z that did not have grease zerks on the spindles and wheel yokes, meaning I really don't understand where Gene put his fittings.
I know I'm not the only Hustler owner that has had my spindle bearings burn up from heat. Some times they will start squeaking, some times they just explode with a bang. I carried a complete spare spindle in my parts box on the trailer all the time. I removed the inner seal on the top and bottom bearing so when I greased the spindle zerk the grease would be forced into the bearings, no more problems. I drilled and taped for the zerks in the caster housing not in the wheel. The wheels all have zerks. There was nothing on the top of my casters to keep water out at the time. Hopefully by now they have corrected that issue.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
I know I'm not the only Hustler owner that has had my spindle bearings burn up from heat. Some times they will start squeaking, some times they just explode with a bang. I carried a complete spare spindle in my parts box on the trailer all the time. I removed the inner seal on the top and bottom bearing so when I greased the spindle zerk the grease would be forced into the bearings, no more problems. I drilled and taped for the zerks in the caster housing not in the wheel. The wheels all have zerks. There was nothing on the top of my casters to keep water out at the time. Hopefully by now they have corrected that issue.
How many hours before you saw these problems? I've never seen or heard of this from anyone else, not saying it doesn't happen, because it did to you, just saying this is something I've never heard of until your post brought it up.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
How many hours before you saw these problems? I've never seen or heard of this from anyone else, not saying it doesn't happen, because it did to you, just saying this is something I've never heard of until your post brought it up.
I had so many problems with my Hustler I couldn't keep track of what happened when. The first season it spent about two months at the dealers out of six months. Owning a Hustler was a very bad experience for me, but a learning experience. With hind sight now I know it would have been a lot cheaper to junk it and just pay it off rather than keep trying to fix it. There is another fella on here that I talked with that had some of my same problems and he had some problems that I didn't have. I think his title was TLC.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I had so many problems with my Hustler I couldn't keep track of what happened when. The first season it spent about two months at the dealers out of six months. Owning a Hustler was a very bad experience for me, but a learning experience. With hind sight now I know it would have been a lot cheaper to junk it and just pay it off rather than keep trying to fix it. There is another fella on here that I talked with that had some of my same problems and he had some problems that I didn't have. I think his title was TLC.
Thats right Tommy kept his for a long time. I sold mine after 3 yrs but mine was in the shop 100 miles away from about 300 hrs up it was broke down. Like yours mine would be in the shop for week at a time. Hydros, wheel motors, clutch wires, engine deck plate cracking, muffler cracking, cut quality issues, pulleys, springs, clutch wire jumper I had to carry spares. Burnt grass. Sorry to drudge up the past but 2006 was a bad yr for Hustler, and all of us that got the lemons.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I believe you are referring to TLS, and he sold his Hustler this spring after buying a new Exmark with RED technology.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I believe you are referring to TLS, and he sold his Hustler this spring after buying a new Exmark with RED technology.
It could be TLS, its been a few years. He was trying to get Hustler to take back the mower he had so he didn't want to create too many waves. Don't remember how he made out.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It could be TLS, its been a few years. He was trying to get Hustler to take back the mower he had so he didn't want to create too many waves. Don't remember how he made out.
Yep, that's him. he had a lot of problems with it up until he got rid of it this spring.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Thats right Tommy kept his for a long time. I sold mine after 3 yrs but mine was in the shop 100 miles away from about 300 hrs up it was broke down. Like yours mine would be in the shop for week at a time. Hydros, wheel motors, clutch wires, engine deck plate cracking, muffler cracking, cut quality issues, pulleys, springs, clutch wire jumper I had to carry spares. Burnt grass. Sorry to drudge up the past but 2006 was a bad yr for Hustler, and all of us that got the lemons.
Yes, you understand what I'm talking about. Stupid clutch wire pigtail with a diode in it hanging down under the mower where it gets hit with sticks and brakes the diode. How many times did you pull the choke knob off the cable trying to get the choke closed to start the engin?

Did you ever try cutting backwards? My mower cut better going backwards than it did going forward. Also had a better discharge in wet grass going backwards than forward.

Oh yea, so many bad memories.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, you understand what I'm talking about. Stupid clutch wire pigtail with a diode in it hanging down under the mower where it gets hit with sticks and brakes the diode. How many times did you pull the choke knob off the cable trying to get the choke closed to start the engin?

Did you ever try cutting backwards? My mower cut better going backwards than it did going forward. Also had a better discharge in wet grass going backwards than forward.

Oh yea, so many bad memories.
Yup, it cut backwards better than frontwards. The clutch pigtails I finally soaked them in liquid electrical tape and the heat from the muffler, clutch etc would not melt it as fast. So I always had extras all ready. I had the 30 Kohler and don't remember any choke issues. To bad that mower was so comfortable, and I loved the emergency brake located in the handles. But that was where it stopped for me.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong