Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2000, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Addict

$175-$200 is fair.

Dont know the circumfirence of the tree but a clean drop of only 16' is small compared to alot that i have done. Boom its on the ground cut in to log pieces and brush thrown on truck in 1 1/2 hours. If you had a chipper 1 cut and depending on circumfirence that sucker would be done and gone in the twenty minutes you aloud.

Birch is good wood for the fire place too. I usually charge an average fee of $50 (depending on how much firewood there is) to get rid of it, of course if its good enough to keep, my gain.

sharpen your chain before starting too, so you dont look like a ying yang, and take a spare.
Old 08-28-2000, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cos - "Birch is good wood for the fire place too" ?

If you like the snap crackle and pop. I personally stay away from the birch for my interior heat supply. I hope I'm right on the wood, but I am sure it is the birch that makes a heck of a mess when I open the woodstove. Now for the burn pit...a definite go!
Old 08-28-2000, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

guido--we're together on this one, now!

they should all just listen to US and do what we say!

GEO
Old 08-28-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Addict

scraper

I am not as rural as you. If you say so then your probably right, but I was told that oak,cherry,birch,ash are all good for firewood. And I was told not to use pine,locust,and sweet gum for firewood.

As far as the tree is concerned, I would believe that most customers would want 1 firm price for a tree to be removed and not an hourly price. Trees are real fun to price, alot more fun than lawns.

Best wishes
Old 08-28-2000, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Just beacause you are taking the mess home doesn't mean you shouldn't be reimbursed for it just like the land fill. What will you do with the tiny branches? Burn them? That will take time. Be sure to consider worse case scenarios when you bid jobs. Some times I am too optimistic on times but if it comes out better then more money in your pocket. You'll be happy. What if a limb snaps off and goes through a window or hits the yard dog? Then what? You will have to pick up the tab.
Old 08-29-2000, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

to lawnguy

you asked who is gonna split all that wood??

This has nothing to do with it I am getting the wood for free in essence since I charged fro the work to cut it down so if i had to buy wood for the fireplace i would be out those dollars so again in my book its free wood
Now I am lucky enough with 10 acres of land that I dont ever have to buy wood but if I can make money on the tree take down and end up with wood i'm ahead and either way I would be splitting it for the fireplace so am I splitting some of my own from the woods or some of the customers from the paying job Hope you see what I mean
Old 08-30-2000, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

#1 Why leave the stump? Sub a stump grinder to come in and remove the stump add a % if you want.
#2 Add a fee to remove chips add topsoil,reseed,fertilize put the planter in etc.
#3 customer will be a lot happier with the end results nad you have made not only a profit on removing the tree but on the other possibilitys of income generated.
Old 08-30-2000, 08:50 AM

If you don't charge properly for the job. How you figure you getting the wood for free??? You are paying for it in an indirect way. And too waite til she ask you to do more extra work and expects the same cheap labor
Old 08-30-2000, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Addict

well said charles,

Your gain shouldn't be her gain. Remember your in business to make a profit and not out to save your customers a buck.
Old 08-30-2000, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Read what Charles said. Then read it again.