The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2000, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Charles, COS and lawnguy
regarding your last few posts
Am I quoting CHEAP
here is how I figured it
Remove tree (30 Minutes on the job site)
(i get the wood) Bid 120.00
#2 build 8x8 planter box around the old stump cut to the ground. Plant 8 mums 1 3 foot pine tree and approx 8 or 10 8inch potted Junipers for ground cover, filling with top soil and covering with mulch around all plantings.
Materials bid out at 140.00 which I p*** on to her with a 10 % markup since I pick up and deliver. I figure 2 hours work at 30. per hour to build the planter box.
So I make 120. for tree 14. on mark up and 60. for labor
or 194.00 for around two and a half hours
What do you think
Old 08-30-2000, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think about all the trouble you can get into.
Don't get hot under the collar but first do you have
insurance in case the tree falls in to house,hey it
can happen.That is one reason tree companies charge
so much.Also,how much falling have you done?What if you
get into a widowmaker,they call it that for a reason.
Think about it first,before the money.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:05 AM
Millenium Member

Funny,

Last week we had a storm come through Charlotte, most 911 calls since hurricane Hugo. I saw 2 large trees laying in the front of a house with a big sign "FREE WOOD". For some it's free wood, for others it's free wood plus $500+ for removal. Don't know if anyone was a big enough sucker to bite or not, not me.
Old 08-31-2000, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Addict

Got for it!

If you feel comfortable about the price where your gonna make maoney, then go for it. There's only one way your gonna learn the pricing game and that is by experience, and the 16 ft tree. If its a clean drop, no house, shed etc., drop the sucker its only 16ft tall.

Best wishes
Old 08-31-2000, 08:31 AM

Mykee, that is getting there on the package lol. The customer would come out better just hiring a stump grinder. or you could just rent one and charge her. Maybe find a few more stumps to make it worth it. And it sure would look alot better. A tree company came out and cut one pine in my neighbors yard. Just cut it off at the base and let it fall. No danger of it hitting anything and charged him 325$. But it was taller than your tree. On the other hand they didn't saw anything other than the limbs off and loaded the trunk up and hauled all of it off. Oh well, the price you quoted above is better then giving your services away just for wood. I get ask to to big jobs like the one you are doing. I just refer them to a tree company. From the distraction of doing that type of job. You could have cut enough lawns to pay for alot of wood. If you have a large enough business
Old 08-31-2000, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Addict

Stump grinding

Mckee,
Find someone to do your stump grinding. Unlees you do alot of stump grinding its not even worth renting a grinder. Buddy up with a tree guy and charge an extra $20 for doing absolutely nothing.

by the time you get the machine from the rental place grind the stump or two, take it back, and go on doing what you gotta do, you made absolutely nothing to break even. I have no intentions on getting a stump grinder anytime soon. I still make money off of stumps. If they ask, i simply make 1 phone call and make quick money off the call alone.
Old 08-31-2000, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your markup is low. 50 per cent minimum on that quantity. You will spend an hour drive time plus x hours at the nursery/home center.

If its a white birch I would talk her into making a planter box out of the tree.

Whole point was, dont sell yourself short just cuz you want the wood. I understand where youre coming from but look at it from the customers point of view. And what if you fell the tree and find it full of rot/carpenter ants/etc? Wouldnt want that junk in my home.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a decent amount of tree removals, and one of the biggest factors in price is how much brush is involved. If I have to deal with a tree with alot of small branches, the price goes up significantly, because I do not have a chipper, and them branches can be a big pain for loading, transport, and unloading. If it is a mess of branches, I will sub out the branch pickup, or recomend a tree company for the work. Now if there are not many branches, and the takedown is simple, considering the size of the birch, it should be quick. Birch is lite, and the truck could be cut up in aprox. 4 foot sections, and removed. You can always cut them down to size when you get home, and the bigger sections are better for holding your branches down in transport. $120 is great if it meets the criteria above. I wish I could get $325 for a tree like that, I would have a new full time bus!

I would not plan on using the birch for the fire place as it is not a hardwood, ie oak, maple, walnut. I would burn it in an outdoor pit, no need to risk a cresote buildup in your chimeny! :blob4:

Also like Beaver said, sub out the stump, should be cheap, maybe 20-25 bucks if you find the right guy, and the job will look nicer, and will be easier to plant things there if he gets some of the root matter. But then again, my guy is cheap and good!

That tree insurance is outrageous! I believe it is federalized, and there are only 4 or 5 companies who provide insurance for that industry. So be very careful!

For what it's worth
Jay
Old 11-23-2001, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndog
What if you
get into a widowmaker,they call it that for a reason.
Lawndog, what's a widowmaker?
Old 11-23-2001, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the off topic dont burn pine and the likes of but every now and then burn some ceder it will clean your fire place like it was new.