Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

is this grass seed choice ok

I am going to renovate my lawn in late August here in east Tennessee. I was wondering if these TTTF seed cultivars would work out ok in this transition area. they are Rendition RX, Titan RX and Hudson. I can also get same TTTF with 10 percent hybrid blue grass. Not sure about the blue grass since it gets pretty hot here during summers. I am just looking for some opinions on these cultivars or some suggestions. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kingsport is in the foothill's of eastern TN. I couldn't find the exact elevation but you should be fine with that seed. That's fescue country but i would go with the 10% bluegrass, you'll appreciate it's ability to creep and it will add to the look of the grass 10 month's out of the year. Your far enough North that you shouldn't lose any KBG in the heat of the summer.

I do have a few question's - Do you have automatic irrigation and how many pound's of seed per 1000 sq. ft. are you putting down? What kind of seedbed preparation are you doing and what are you going to use to seed?

You can use this site to check out seed for your state. Good luck.

http://www.ntep.org/
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I was gonna cut grass short, aerate, then slit seed. was going to put down somewhere around 5 lbs. per 1000 sqft. I left it out earlier but also have bullseye tttf available may use it instead of Hudson in the mix. A rental place here rents toro hydro slit seeder for 55.00 for four hours. they told me I'd be best to rent it on Friday right before close so I wouldn't have to have it back till Monday at 10:00. lawn is around 12000 sqft. I may do that so I don't feel rushed.

Last edited by crgstvrs; 07-22-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

not exactly the worst lawn ever but just want it to be a little better. I know I am limited because I do not have irrigation.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely replace the hudson with bullseye if i could. That's the #1 seed for my area and almost impossible to find. (at least it was last fall) So how much, percentage wise, existing grass are you seeding into?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you don't skimp on the water when that new grass is germinating. Even though you'll have to pull hose's, you'll be ahead of the game. Remember, new grass need's water, every day. There's no getting around that.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good suggestions Agrostis.
Fall is better. ( "Since it gets pretty hot here in the summer." )Wait till high temps come down to below 85 in September--unless you have good irrigation--every day. Less weeds and no crabgrass in the fall.
Or maybe your temps are suitable in August if your town is up in the foothills.
The bluegrass adds more creeping ability--helps fill-in in the event of thin spots.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-23-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: ps
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

i will be waiting on weather to break. I am sure it will get hot here in August but start to cool towards the end. We haven't had but a few days that have hit 90 all year. I'm looking at upper 70's days and low 60's at night usually late august first of September.