Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM
joed joed is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Exmark 21" X Series Cutting Issues

I bought an Exmark 21" X Series unit in the spring. I like the unit very much but I've been having some issues with the machine leaving "stragglers" when I cut at 2.5" or higher. The problems seems to go away when I drop the mower to 2" but the cut is way too short. The unit has the multipurpose red blade that was brought out last year and it's kept sharp. I've had some complaints from customers so I was wondering what can be done to correct the issue? Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
locallawncare.ca locallawncare.ca is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 720
Not sure, I have a toro 22156 and notice the same issue, at 2" it doesn't miss a blade, but at 2.5 it seems like it leaves more stragglers, are you mulching or bagging? I think it has to do with the amount of lift created, if there isn't enough vacuum then the grass can bend instead of being cut, I notice on thicker lawn it cuts better at 2.5 but thin lawns not so much.I'm intersted to see what others post.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
joed joed is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Not sure, I have a toro 22156 and notice the same issue, at 2" it doesn't miss a blade, but at 2.5 it seems like it leaves more stragglers, are you mulching or bagging? I think it has to do with the amount of lift created, if there isn't enough vacuum then the grass can bend instead of being cut, I notice on thicker lawn it cuts better at 2.5 but thin lawns not so much.I'm intersted to see what others post.
I bag with the exmark most of the time. I have not found it to mulch that well. My toro super bagger (same deck as your toro, just a residential version) mulches a lot better. I know exmark offers 9.5" wheels instead of the standard 9" ones. I wonder if they would work if I'm cutting with the heights set at 2".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,244
Have you tried cutting a half inch shorter in the front??
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
locallawncare.ca locallawncare.ca is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 720
I'm not sure, I wish push mowers adjusted in .25" increments. I know lawns should be cut at 2.5 or higher but like you said at 2.5 some lawns just don't come out good, but 2" is too short, I fell that 2.25 would be a great height. When doing small yards I always find that people want it cut shorter, believe it or not I have a couple I cut at 1.5".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
happyuser happyuser is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I'm not sure, I wish push mowers adjusted in .25" increments. I know lawns should be cut at 2.5 or higher but like you said at 2.5 some lawns just don't come out good, but 2" is too short, I fell that 2.25 would be a great height. When doing small yards I always find that people want it cut shorter, believe it or not I have a couple I cut at 1.5".
My 21in Exmark S series has the same issue. I keep the blade is came with sharp. Is there a better blade a better 21in mower? Ive been cutting half passes on my fert lawns. It dies not seem to be an issue on weedy thin lawns. Annoying none the less
__________________
6x10 Mustang Trailer
Exmark Hydro 36"
Exmark S Series Push
Stihl FS70 Trimmer
Echo Blower
Echo Shears
Commercial Spreader
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
vegandude's Avatar
vegandude vegandude is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastern wa
Posts: 448
I don't have the part number but exmark does make a bagging blade that's really good. Until they came out with it I was welding the mulch cutouts closed to increase the lift. How clean is your bag, the cut really suffers if it's dirty.
__________________
"our task must be to free ourselves..by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty" ALBERT EINSTEIN

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM
joed joed is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Have you tried cutting a half inch shorter in the front??
I apologize, in advance, if this is a silly question but wouldn't this make the cut uneven because the back is higher than the front?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
khadux khadux is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I bought an Exmark 21" X Series unit in the spring. I like the unit very much but I've been having some issues with the machine leaving "stragglers" when I cut at 2.5" or higher. The problems seems to go away when I drop the mower to 2" but the cut is way too short. The unit has the multipurpose red blade that was brought out last year and it's kept sharp. I've had some complaints from customers so I was wondering what can be done to correct the issue? Anybody have any ideas?
I noticed the same with my Exmark X21. I have other mowers that leave stragglers when mulching also but not as much as the exmark. Must be the red blade. Also the engine tends to surge once in a while. So far, not too impressed but it sure looks pretty in red .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I apologize, in advance, if this is a silly question but wouldn't this make the cut uneven because the back is higher than the front?
Not a silly question, one would think it would, but it actually increases air-flow, and helps improve the suction of the deck.
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.10619 seconds with 7 queries