Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGrady View Post
Bi weekly......so you are coming 2 times a week? -or- Bi monthly meaning (2) times a month. That's my favorite mistake. I forced a city once to throw out lower bids and hire me because the bid specs said bi-weekly and thats what I bid. I was the only one that noticed it. All the other bids had to be trashed except mine for not following the specs. I spent the winter having my crews mow nothing twice a week. I love govt work!
Not true

bi·week·ly (b-wkl)
adj.
1. Happening every two weeks.

2. Happening twice a week; semiweekly.

n. pl. bi·week·lies
A publication issued every two weeks.

adv.
1. Every two weeks.

2. Twice a week; semiweekly. See Usage Note at bi-1.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
biweekly [baɪˈwiːklɪ]
adj & adv
1. every two weeks

2. (often avoided because of confusion with sense 1) twice a week; semiweekly See bi-1

n pl -lies
(Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) a periodical published every two weeks

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Your are either having fun with us, or the people who threw out the other bids don't have access to a dictionary
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
I find early on I can mulch the leaves but once larger drops happen it depends on the property. Sometimes it turns into a bigger mess but I have lawns (only a few because my focus is on landscape) where they look just fine from mulching. I found I could mulch them up and then put the bagger on collecting more in less trips. Maybe it takes about the same time but it's less volume if I haul away.

I ended up finding a very old but well taken care of leaf loader for cheap (I'm talking old enough no parts are available). It helps on two properties where the leaf drops are quite large. It's no brand new billy goat loader but saves time. I see other guys around me use lawn tractors with those towable leaf loaders for their clean ups. I think they finish mow with their regular mowers but the lawns are spotless when they are done!
I'm gonna look into these tractor and leaf loader
Set ups if I ever get big enough lawns to make it worth it that want clean ups. Most Lawns here are small, it just blow, barrel, and throw on my dump trailer unless the town picks up curbside without being in bags. Every larger lawn I've quoted out for mowing says "we don't have any big trees so we don't get clean ups". I pass on those ones. No clean up? Not worth it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once the leaves start falling and the grass slos down I wil come every other week and blow all leaves out of the beds and bag the whole yard. I charge 1.5x my normal price and it takes the same time to mow as their isnt much trimming and no blowing off as im bagging. The only extra time come in handling the clippings. I can usually dump on properties, but tarp and put in the bed of the truck. Not much of a hassle for me

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Once the leaves start falling and the grass slos down I wil come every other week and blow all leaves out of the beds and bag the whole yard. I charge 1.5x my normal price and it takes the same time to mow as their isnt much trimming and no blowing off as im bagging. The only extra time come in handling the clippings. I can usually dump on properties, but tarp and put in the bed of the truck. Not much of a hassle for me
I did that last year, and will this year for certain customers, but a few of them gave me a hard time about prices and frequency. I got really tired of, "hold off another week" emails screwing up my schedule and bottom line. Those ones will just get a one shot full clean up this year, ill make more money on the time spent doing it. I'm gonna be too overwhelmed as it is.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

someone should put a mulching tutorial.
like install mulching kit, what blades, tips, etc...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not picked up a leaf in the 21 years I have lived in our current home. I do not provide leaf clean up service for others but occasionally help a neighbor or relative if they want to do it my way. My yard is 1.2 acres with a solid mature woods along the back side, which are mostly oaks. I blow the leaves out of beds and often out of the edge of the woods into my yard, then chop them up. Never had a problem and it looks quite clean. I have to do this 3-4 times each Fall as the leaves come down. On the last couple cuts of the year, by mowing 1/4"-1/2" lower than my neighbors anything that blows across my yard keeps going

This topic has come up enough times here that I hope I can remember to take some pictures to post of the process this year. Those who do not believe it works satisfactorily, much less that it is good for the soil and yard, may be surprised.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
someone should put a mulching tutorial.
like install mulching kit, what blades, tips, etc...
The high rise mulching blades are a big part of the equation and having a mower that is designed for mulching... I'd look for that article from a Michigan college that did that mulching of Maple leaves in the Fall...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put a mulching kit on the lazer this fall and love it. Thick acumulation I'll have to double cut, but they are chopped so small they are not noticeable. Saves time and looks better IMO.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Free lawn food- definitely a healthy thing for your lawn. Before mowing go around all the beds and hard surfaces and blow the leaves into the grass. Then go to town shredding them up. Mulch kits help a lot
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
Free lawn food- definitely a healthy thing for your lawn. Before mowing go around all the beds and hard surfaces and blow the leaves into the grass. Then go to town shredding them up. Mulch kits help a lot
That's what we've been doing...Saves so much time. Can't believe I haven't bought the mulch kit sooner.