Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2000, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started mowing today w/ my walker and only had one person say NO, I don't want that big thing on my lawn. 15,000 sq.ft. lawn, takes 50 minutes to cut and trim it. I did it with my walker and was done in 20 minutes. Don't know what to do. She is my neighbor lady and she was my first customer 3 years ago when I started. What would you all do? Thanks for your advice. Mowman Happy Walker Owner!!!!!
Old 07-29-2000, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

First learn how to use it properly, (no turn scuffs, scalping) and show here it doesn't damage the lawn. She she will not accept, charge more for the smaller mower, or move on.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Grasscape Inc
Old 07-29-2000, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does she pay on time? If you had her for 3 years she must be a good customer. My advice is don't mess up a good thing. Keep the rider off of that job you'll make up the timing on your other lawns. Good luck<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 07-29-2000, 04:00 PM
Millenium Member

What do you make for that 50 min lawn? First prove to her that it gives a quality cut, mulches the clippings, and won't hurt the lawn. If not, how many lawns could you cut in that 50 min to make up the difference?
Old 07-29-2000, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Show her a good cut . And no it won't be cheaper cause this machine cost X $'s and it must pay for itself.
Old 07-29-2000, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If her final answer is no rider, then you need to ask a few questions. Afterall she was your first customer.<p>1. Does she pay well?<br>2. Have you always gotten along well with her?<br>3. Will any of you other customers know you are mowing her lawn with a small mower? (They may demand the same thing)<br>4. Does she ever leave the house, if she does, she lives nearby, jump on the rider and mow while she is gone <p><br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith
Old 07-29-2000, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you should look at a few things. <br>1. Could you find another lawn that takes less time with a rider that pays the same.<br>2. If so why not drop hers and take it.
Old 07-29-2000, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No matter what it is her lawn,and for whatever reason,she doesnt want that heavy of a machine on it,so you have to:live with it,drop her,or reason with her and try to get her to let you mow it with the walker.If you choose A,raise her price to compensate for time lost while new mower sits idle. I wouldnt just go ahead and mow it while she's not there-that isnt good business practice and if she comes home you will at the least have a bad rep and some explaining to do.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 07-29-2000, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

move on , you bought a $9000 mower to make money, not walk behind a 21
Old 07-31-2000, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with goose. It was a nice yard when you needed the money, you can do three of those size yards for the same price, thats what a walker is for. Its time to move on, give her a choice, either its the big mower or nothing at all.