Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2000, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys. I've been trying to talk a guy in my shop out of ordering one of these do it at home small engine repair courses where they send you the engine and tools and all. I just don't thnk its worth the money. Has anyone ever done this? Do you recommend any certain one? I figure if he's going to go ahead with this, he might as well do it right. Hope you guys can give me some info to pass along. He's also too ignorant to get on a PC or he'd be here asking this himself!! I'm working on him though!! Thanks guys!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-04-2000, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am considering taking courses maybe this coming winter on small engine repair. I can do most simple repairs but i want to no how to fix anyproblem that may arise.. my dealer charges 50 bucks an hour for labor.... How did you guys learn how to repair engines? I would love to learn how to rebuild a entire motor..
Old 07-04-2000, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I Learned from being &quot;tool-boy&quot; for my grandfather when I was younger, kinda picked it up on my own after that. Fairly easy to do basic stuff once you have the concept down, but its hard to keep up on changes in product, etc. The dealer gets input on all this and all the different brands, etc, and does it all day everyday, thats why they'll never go out of (commercial) business. <p>This course my friend is talking about he said he saw once in Popular mechanics I think. He's trying to find the phone # for it, and I'm trying on here. They send you an engine and some parts and tools and I guess there is a step by stepo book to fix it, or tear it down and put it back up again. Maybe worth it, but I don't know how much it costs. We;ll see.<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-04-2000, 02:21 PM

Guido, I have seen classes offered at local colleges and night courses at Tech. schools, as well as at the extension office. The cooperative extension at Rutgers U. in NJ offers classes in everything a Landscaper would need.....including a course titled speaking the art of landscape in spanish I.<p>The local Tech night course would most likely be the most reasonable though.
Old 07-04-2000, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Guido--I just finished my last exam on the ICS course, now known as Harcourt Learning. You do not get an engine with this course, but you do get some tools, a carburetor, lots of books, and at the end of the course you are supposed to get a lot more things:<br>Tool Box, screwdriver set, feeler gage set, SAE and Metric sets of wrenches, Briggs Service and Repair manual, Tecumseh Repair manual.<p>The course consists of 7 sections, with between 3 to 5 books in each section. You do a telephone test that makes it very easy to get immediate grading on your exams. Here is a hint--if you request info on this course and do not respond within a set period of time, low and behold, the mailman brings you a &quot;limited time only certificate for $200.00 off on the price of the program&quot;! <p>You can go to the web site, providing that they have not changed it, at &quot;ICSLEARN.COM&quot; and order info from there, and even get a course description. <p>I would consider this course very complete and informative. I don't know how it would compare with a community college course as far as amount of instruction and costs. It tells you how to do total rebuilds, precise measurements, trouble shooting, etc...<p>If you or anyone else has any more questions, please post or drop an e-mail and I will try answer anything I have left out. I could even copy the Course Schedule and e-mail it out for review.<p>Brad
Old 07-04-2000, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jeffyr - Thanks, thats what I would have suggested to him but thats out of the question, since we're in Germany.<p>Brad, thanks, thats what he's looking at I think, I'll give him the info! <p>Thanks for the help!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti