Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-29-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with a Stihl. Check on Ebay, there's usually 70 to 200 Stihl items for sale.
Old 06-29-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I am concerned, only one chainsaw on the market...STIHL!!! Got a model 039 last year when carolina got pounded by the hurricaine. It is one cutting A@# saw, so much so that is scary sometimes! Other brands I would consider(in no specific order) are husqvarna, shindaiwa, redmax, echo, jonsered, to name a few. But by no means would I buy a headache such as: McCullogh, Poulan, or Homelite.<br>Good equipment will pay you back with years of reliability and GOOD service. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth. Happy shopping!!
Old 06-29-2000, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i too am looking towards buying a chainsaw. They are dangerous, my uncle (runs an 029 super) says they are the most dangerous tool. I'm gonna try to help someone else out and have them show me how to use the saw safely. I have decided i want an 026 pro, I love my stihl equipment. This saw has 3.5 hp compared to the 029's 3.75, but it weighs, about 10 lbs, compared to 13 for the 029. I will also buy the brush helmet, chaps and shirt. the 026 pro cost $360, with the other stuff i'm guessing it will total $500-$600. I'll probably buy it this summer, make a little money with it, and pay for it totally first big storm that comes by.
Old 06-29-2000, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

RED MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2000, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We do little tree work, but i always like having the best stuff. Chainsaws are where my opinion differs however. I never had a chainsaw that was really worth a crap. In 1993 I bought a Stihl 020 super. This was supposedly the best small chainsaw for cutting small stuff. I have no idea how old it was but it was in very good shape. I bought it from a dealer I have dealt with quite often. He said it belonged to an older guy who bought it to clean up his property, kept it a few years and decided he didn't need it. He sold it to the dealer and he called me to tell me he had the chainsaw I was looking for. $300. It ran ok, it had the wrong chain for what I needed. I used it 4 or 5 times and after about a year I began having problems with it. Finally it just wouldn't run. I took it back to the dealer and he had it for about a week before he called me and told me he was sending it to Stihl Southeast. This seemed a bit odd but he said that it was best to let them service it. <p>About a month later he calls to tell me my saw is ready, come pick it up. When I asked how much it was he said, he didn't charge anything for looking at it but Stihl Southeast had charged $232. Now after falling out of the chair, I said &quot;you're jokin right?&quot; He said, &quot;no, it needed a lot of parts.&quot; I went and picked up the bill and he suggested I call them, if I thought there was a problem, suggesting he thought there was a problem. After looking over the bill I noticed something that just didn't seem right. They had charged for fixing the points ignition (parts like condenser etc) and then also charged for upgrading it to Solid State ignition. <p>When I called and questioned that, the guy said, &quot;well I don't know what to tell ya, I am not a mechanic. If you think $232 dollars is too much, what do you think it is worth. &quot; I just spit out &quot;32 dollars&quot;. The guy said, &quot;ok, we will accept that&quot;<p>The chainsaw ran well for about 1/2 hour and then started having similar problems. I took it apart myself and noticed some of the so called replaced parts, were not. I gave up on it and bought a $170 Poulan. Guess what.....it still runs and starts on the second try everytime. I liked it so much, I bought another just like it <p>So what is the point of the story. Hell I don't know I have never had a chainsaw worth a crap, until the Poulan. Junk? Maybe to some, but it works for me.
Old 06-30-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

STIHL GOOD.<br>Get a commercial model though even still makes harry homeowner cheapo saws
Old 06-30-2000, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Spend the extra money and get a good saw. I would suggest a Husky, thats all you see around here. They are great. We have a 257 at work, i have a 45 at home. The 3 digit ones are commercial the doubles are residential, so far the 45 has performed beyond my expectations I kinda wish i had gotten something more HD but i got a great deal on it. Oh and keep the chain sharp, then u really can cut through stuff like butter.
Old 07-01-2000, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok i have had 5 stihl saws in the past i now have 2 stihls now an 017 and a farm boss 029. the reason for the farm boss is i do a far abount of tree work. but if u are a lawn mat. person all u need is a 017 (179.00) with a 16 in bar i love this saw for liming and tree clean up it lite and powerful.i think ud like it. what ever u do dont go but a 70$ special some **** brand home owners saw it will not do uany good <p><p><p><br>
Old 07-04-2000, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 6 Stihl in my tree-service work. They all treat me well despite the workout they get. I would caution that if you shop Stihl, Husky or other professional brands, be aware that they also make a lower-price homeowners line. For example, Stihl makes the 021, 023, 025,029 and 039 saws that are homeowner specials. Look instead for the professional models as the features are more robust yet lighter, and the saws themselves are more durable.<br>&quot;No body ever regretted buying quality...&quot;<p>----------<br>John<br>