Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

season transition- per time mows now with leaves

How do you guys go about mowing thru october for per time customers when the amount of leaves creep up more and more every visit. As far as a pricing stand point goes. These per timers want me to do the fall cleanup but I have been burned before by mowing/sucking up leaves and then quoting a normal price for when the bulk of whats left over falls; then having them fire back "well there isnt that much left on the trees/ some other excuse". Please inform!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't miss that at all,most people don't like to pay $100 bucks to remove leaves,I just scalped 9 of my Friday yards today 3 others aren't getting scalped and over seeded,so I'm just lining up my winter schedule,I'll seed Friday yards next week it's still 95 here so ill just scalp yards all next week and overseed in two weeks and cut all winter
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With all due respect.... this answer^^^^^^^ has nothing to do with what the op is talking about.... I feel your pain bud.... Recent transplant to upstate from Boston. This has been a widely debatable issue between my colleagues/co-workers/friends/other business owners forever!!!! We run Walkers GHS's so if it is not going to put a major amount of time onto the account, we will go ahead and suck them up.... If the leaves are just ridiculous, we blow them to the perimeter.... I feel that the most important thing to remember when facing this conundrum is COMMUNICATION!!!!!! Communication with the customer/home owner of course... You know what type of trees are on and around the property, coming up with a price for leaf removal early in the season is a good idea... This way, you can manage them however you want... Whether you take extra time each visit or do one big clean up, you can take comfort in the fact that you know what you are going to be paid... Of course not everyone is going to bite on that... But still, communication is key.. make sure to let your clients know that the $40.00 you charge for a weekly mow does not include wrangling and disposing of copious amounts of leaves. Personally, I find that sucking them up on the weekly visit pays off in the long run... There will still be a ton left for the clean up, and the client will appreciate the extra effort and attention that has been put in.. (but still, it's all about time, if you are able to do this and not add mucho time onto the visit.. golden)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hear where your coming from I'm next door. We tend to mow like normal through about the second week of Oct. Then the leaves start to increase and we lose the pure crab grass lawns as they are dead. That is when we begin to charge extra for bagging the leaves with each visit. That will continue and increase as needed through the end of Oct and sometimes through the first week or so of Nov. At which point it becomes to much to deal with and we stop cutting and set up for clean ups over the next week. Now if at any time a lawn cut would require so much leaf removal as too one cost us to much time and break even or lose money and two cost us our fall clean up then we end the cutting season for them. Basically you need to protect your fall clean up income and not screw yourself out of a better pay day later in the season.

As for people not wanting to spend $100 for leaves please tell me that was a joke! I have residential lawns that rack up $1000 clean up bills a $100 would not be worth the effort to even show up for the clean up.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, Kelly's..... That is exactly the point I was trying to make.... Once you get to that point... eeeeeerrrrtttt!!! The record stops! Have you guys started using leaf plows yet? We haven't yet but I really want to try one to see how it does...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nay the leaves here are still Green. Only seen drought leaf drops and of course the maples at my house have a nice fungus again so no fall color they are just curling up and falling. Leaf plows are not going to see any action here till Nov 15th or perhaps as late as Nov 25th. It's funny how hard it is to talk fall with the guys on here because I am on the coast so even though I am New England our fall season starts nearly a month after most of the guys here do.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHa... Sorry, misunderstanding... I meant in general... By saying "yet" I just meant that they are relatively new and not every company is using them yet... But you do use them?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, takes a while to "feel" them out.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I really didn't think the hydros are set up to plow leaves? I guess you made me curious.
2011 24' united enclosed trailer
2011 griffin dump trailer
2005 61'' ferris
2009 61'' ferris 3100
2010 36'' ferris hydro cut
2010 48'' ferris walk
2-2013 61'' snapper pro walk
Echo blowers and whips
Turfco aerator with sulky

Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post

As for people not wanting to spend $100 for leaves please tell me that was a joke! I have residential lawns that rack up $1000 clean up bills a $100 would not be worth the effort to even show up for the clean up.
No joke here,we don't have a lot of trees that drop leaves,we just mow weekly as normal,and $1000 a clean up you must do well these next few months,some of my customers don't pay that a year,sorry for hijacking the thread Ron but I don't miss those leaves one bit you guys enjoy dumping them