Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I could maybe see your point on a low yield well. But on an 18 gpm 1 hp sub it would be easy. 18 gpm on a 1 hp is probably only 20-30' to water. He could pull the pump by hand and set one of the plastic model CSV's down the hole and never touch the interior plumbing.
In some states, the sprinkler guy keeps his grubby hands off the potable well water supply of a home, and he never thinks twice about it. I don't care for the 60 psi top limit for the inline plastic CSV. Make a brass inline with 1-1/4 inch female threads and a 70 psi top, and you might have something that could even fit steel drop pipes.

But back to the dozen trees, it's easy to set up low-flow drip to run concurrently with other zones. No further worries except controller setting. It might be easier to set popup sprays to drench the tree area with the 18 gpm, as that can be handled by any controller whatsoever.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many gph is the drip demand?

The drawdown of the tank?

Cut in / cut out?

OP stated 65 psi static?

How many people in the residence?

You are not a dumb guy Irritation, i know you can design off of a well without scratching your head. I also know that most issues can be mitigated at the pressure switch, when i install a csv it is more for the unseen futures that will arise.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
In some states, the sprinkler guy keeps his grubby hands off the potable well water supply of a home, and he never thinks twice about it. I don't care for the 60 psi top limit for the inline plastic CSV. Make a brass inline with 1-1/4 inch female threads and a 70 psi top, and you might have something that could even fit steel drop pipes.

But back to the dozen trees, it's easy to set up low-flow drip to run concurrently with other zones. No further worries except controller setting. It might be easier to set popup sprays to drench the tree area with the 18 gpm, as that can be handled by any controller whatsoever.
I install the 1.25 MIP brass Boots, inside the casing or before the PT.

The op stated that the drip would be activated by the owner as he needed it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All the guy wants to do is add a drip zone but is worried about the pump cycling. There is no worry if it is on a pressure tank. I would worry more about the existing zones cycling the pump.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I install the 1.25 MIP brass Boots, inside the casing or before the PT.

The op stated that the drip would be activated by the owner as he needed it.
An inline low-pressure-loss brass CSV with a 70 psi outlet pressure wasn't one of the options last time I looked. Wanting 50 psi at the heads, and having an RPZ in the plumbing means a 20 psi source-to heads pressure loss, and even for systems with a PVB, it is very rare to see a well-water supply that never exceeds 60 psi.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
. The drip zone might cycle the pump once in an hour with the pressure tank.
Or about the same or less as someone taking a shower .
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a 44 gal pressure tank which seems to be a standard size on wells, then you will have roughly 26 gal of water under pressure at a 40-45 cut on.

Lets say your drip zone is running at 5 gpm, and your pump is running at 18 gpm. That gives you a 13 gpm surplus, which will refill the tank in 2 min. Your cycle will be 2 min pump run, then 5 min of the pressure tank discharging. This would mean your pump will be kicking on every 7 min.

A cycle stop valve will be the best option here, you could always install the cycle stop after the T to the system so it would no be in use with the domestic supply.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
If it is a 44 gal pressure tank which seems to be a standard size on wells, then you will have roughly 26 gal of water under pressure at a 40-45 cut on.

Lets say your drip zone is running at 5 gpm, and your pump is running at 18 gpm. That gives you a 13 gpm surplus, which will refill the tank in 2 min. Your cycle will be 2 min pump run, then 5 min of the pressure tank discharging. This would mean your pump will be kicking on every 7 min.

A cycle stop valve will be the best option here, you could always install the cycle stop after the T to the system so it would no be in use with the domestic supply.
Low-flow drip would be less than 1/2 gpm for all the trees, hence concurrent running, or very slow cycling if run alone. Or you could go the other way, with high-flow discrete emitters, and drip the trees with 18 gpm. Either way, no CSV required.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post

Is it running 5 gpm? Its a couple of trees. With 30 emitters its less then 1/2 GPM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Is it running 5 gpm? Its a couple of trees. With 30 emitters its less then 1/2 GPM.
I didn't read all of the four pages, just threw a gpm in there. At 1/2 gpm, you will have 52 min of run time with the pressure tank, I wouldn't sweat the csv.