Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rebuilt valve sticking open

Approx 2 weeks ago I rebulit an old Buckner valve (which Ewing now sells under their name). Replaced the diaphram and top end and it worked fine. Got a call today and the valve was stuck open. HO eventually turned off the water supply. I went out and turned the water back on and the valve had closed. I went ahead and pulled the top and checked for debris and flushed the valve. It was working fine when I left but am wondering if it's going to act up in the future. Don't really want to bill the customer till I know it's right. Ever worked any similiar cases or have any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plastic valve? Flow control on the new bonnet?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Plastic valve? Flow control on the new bonnet?
Plastic & no flow. I didn't mention it but the reason I rebuilt it was because it was not opening.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buckner used to catalog an imitation Richdel valve, but that was a while ago. A flow-control bonnet, appropriately throttled down, would be good insurance against a repeat stick-open.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this happen with older valves (the HR100, etc.) from time to time. My rule is if it sticks open more than 1 time after a rebuild, I replace the valve. I'm sure it could be fixed but callbacks are lost opportunity and the customer just wants it to work. I bill the difference between the rebuild and the replacement if it needs to be replaced.

I think on some of those 20+ year old valves that parts of the body wear over time and the new diaphragms just don't "fit" as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Buckner used to catalog an imitation Richdel valve, but that was a while ago. A flow-control bonnet, appropriately throttled down, would be good insurance against a repeat stick-open.
Good idea. I'll replace the top with a flow if it keeps sticking

bcg,
This valve would be a tough replacement but I know what you mean. After a certain point that's what needs to be done.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Good idea. I'll replace the top with a flow if it keeps sticking

bcg,
This valve would be a tough replacement but I know what you mean. After a certain point that's what needs to be done.
Flow controls rule, that's the only way to seat the diaphragm to the valve body.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

A flow-control bonnet I think is going to be your best bet here while just replacing the valve would be your second best option. I would definitely suggest though, this you continue to have problems consider replacing the valve, or having someone come out and do it for you.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Approx 2 weeks ago I rebulit an old Buckner valve (which Ewing now sells under their name). Replaced the diaphram and top end and it worked fine. Got a call today and the valve was stuck open. HO eventually turned off the water supply. I went out and turned the water back on and the valve had closed. I went ahead and pulled the top and checked for debris and flushed the valve. It was working fine when I left but am wondering if it's going to act up in the future. Don't really want to bill the customer till I know it's right. Ever worked any similiar cases or have any thoughts?
IMO, you shouldn't be billing the customer for this, it should be covered by warranty.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
IMO, you shouldn't be billing the customer for this, it should be covered by warranty.
Jeez, things have changed for the better; factory warranty now covers parts and labor?