LawnSite Member

Toro Commercial 2000 vs John Deere 915B

I will be buying one of the two mowers which one should I go with
John Deere 54 inch- $6995
Toro 52 inch- $6349
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

JD is always the best value. More mower for your money. Frequently the choice of purchasing agents.

Toro is more for the "price is not a factor" crowd. High end golf courses etc.

It's hard to believe a similarly equipped Toro prices under a JD. Does it have the same motor, pumps, etc.?
It doesn't sound like Toro's COMMERCIAL grade mower but one of their lesser lines.

As a solo operator I went to Toro 20 years ago. Yeah, they're expensive to fix. This month my maintenance was $7,400. New tires, wheel bearings, gearbox and a belt. But it's got close to 4,000 hours. The motor & transmission is good. And it's cheaper than a new one.
Toro's are sweet to run. Tougher than you'd expect. If I accidentally run over a brick I'm thinking, "OH! I'll have to sharpen a blade." Not "I'm going to have to replace a spindle."
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
JD is always the best value. More mower for your money. Frequently the choice of purchasing agents.

Toro is more for the "price is not a factor" crowd. High end golf courses etc.

It's hard to believe a similarly equipped Toro prices under a JD. Does it have the same motor, pumps, etc.?
It doesn't sound like Toro's COMMERCIAL grade mower but one of their lesser lines.

As a solo operator I went to Toro 20 years ago. Yeah, they're expensive to fix. This month my maintenance was $7,400. New tires, wheel bearings, gearbox and a belt. But it's got close to 4,000 hours. The motor & transmission is good. And it's cheaper than a new one.
Toro's are sweet to run. Tougher than you'd expect. If I accidentally run over a brick I'm thinking, "OH! I'll have to sharpen a blade." Not "I'm going to have to replace a spindle."
The John Deere is a 23.9 kohler engine and the Toro is a 23.5 Kawasaki engine, I think the pumps are the same on both the mowers and if not I think the John Deere may be 1 or 2cc larger than the Toro, and the tires on the John Deere are 1 inch larger in diameter and 2.5 inches wider in width
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The JD is a little heavier duty machine, and the the 7 Iron II deck is outstanding in QOC. I have nothing against Toro, just know the JD is more bang for the buck. Set the JD's rear's at 12 psi and the front's at 15 psi and check the deck for pitch (should be down at front end of blades 1/4" on dead flat, smooth surface) and side to side level, and never look back.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSooners14 View Post
The John Deere is a 23.9 kohler engine and the Toro is a 23.5 Kawasaki engine, I think the pumps are the same on both the mowers and if not I think the John Deere may be 1 or 2cc larger than the Toro, and the tires on the John Deere are 1 inch larger in diameter and 2.5 inches wider in width
I dont kwon what 915b deeres front tires are but the 2000 are 13"x6.5"-6" they look slightly bigger than the deere's. I dont have much on the deere but the Turboforce decks are awesome!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallengineshop View Post
I dont kwon what 915b deeres front tires are but the 2000 are 13"x6.5"-6" they look slightly bigger than the deere's. I dont have much on the deere but the Turboforce decks are awesome!
The Deere has 13x5-6" full pneumatic fronts and I can tell you firsthand from having owned them, they ride great.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I never did much with deere not real common in my area. how is ther cut?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallengineshop View Post
I never did much with deere not real common in my area. how is ther cut?
The 7 Iron is about as good as it gets when it comes to cutting, and that rep is good in any area of the country. Some like Deere, some don't, but there's no denying the deck is awesome.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

with two mowers so nearly identical start factoring in other aspects of the purchase such as service and parts. they both seem to have their particular better features, but I would reccomend the kawasaki motor every time...i own a kawasaki powered JD and a Toro ZTR with Kawaski cant go wrong with the motor...

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170