Register free!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn Turds continue To Get More Dumb!

I did not think it was possible but it is, Lawn Turds in Florida are actually becoming dumber.

What causes me to say this? I arrive home this evening just a few minutes ago only to find myself sitting at my home office desk reviewing a local advertisement book that I generally run an ad in every month. I find humor in the following as the economy is rebounding here with a force and things are going very very well for most LCO's who have a lick of common sense.

So what do these ads have in them that make me proclaim this statement?

$25 off the first month of service .

Landscape Installs - $495 for 50 plants your choice of azaleas, hedges, viburnum , arbacola, crotons , crepe myrtles and ground covers. Get a free knockout rose this month too!

Lawn and Landscape Maintenance - as low as $50 per month ...this company does fertilization and tree trimming too! I am sure it is only the finest work.

2 months free with 12 month commitment? What so you are going to work for 1/6 of the year for free?

etc etc etc.. it goes on and on.

It drives me crazy that these turds simple are so hungry for any growth that they are giving away services during a time when myself and many others are raising rates and charging a premium for services and have more work than ever before. Why are they trying to drive down the market expectations when the market is obviously allowing for much more? Is there a common gene in the Lawn Turd that makes him enjoy working harder for every dollar that he earns? Does it make him feel more like a real man if he works all day for a fair day wage? I am seriously confused.

This all comes after last week having a flood new customers hit the market as one LCO who cuts any lawn for $55 a month dropped over 160 clients on the market as he was scaling back and did not want to work 7 days a week anymore!

God D ...people, are people really this dumb? I could see this all going on , say in 2008 when the economy tanked...but it is 2013...we are not in the middle of a depression here, things are well past the recovery.

Rant complete.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I can see past the AD. What they have in their AD is a classic marketing hook. The add says starting at and 495 for 50 plants it does not say that includes installation.

That is good marketing that will surely land them plenty of leads and several new customers. They will show up and inform them that the service starts at 50 a month but your quote due to the size of your property is 150 a month.

They have your attention so they have other readers as well. While some people respect upfront honesty most have to be persuaded after realizing the deal was to good to be true.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLikeLandscapes View Post
I can see past the AD. What they have in their AD is a classic marketing hook. The add says starting at and 495 for 50 plants it does not say that includes installation.

That is good marketing that will surely land them plenty of leads and several new customers. They will show up and inform them that the service starts at 50 a month but your quote due to the size of your property is 150 a month.

They have your attention so they have other readers as well. While some people respect upfront honesty most have to be persuaded after realizing the deal was to good to be true.
The ad about the 50 plants - says labor and design included.

And unfortunately no that is is not the starting price for some of these brilliant minds that open shop down here when we are talking about $50 a month. I know several that honestly will cut your lawn every week for $50 a month. Like I said one guy I know recently gave up over 150 accounts to whoever wanted them....he had over 300 ...the problem was he was working 7 days a week to get them done and had them all priced at $55 a month.

Not all of the examples ...but most...the problem is that you are seeking the lowest of the low customers generally. Here most people are aware of the service that these type of ads brings..but it is Florida and more and more people move here every year and have to find out the hard way.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to say it Poet but this insanity has been going on in Florida in the four different counties I have worked in for over 30 years, it's not gonna change. We just have to think outside the box and deal with it.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Hate to say it Poet but this insanity has been going on in Florida in the four different counties I have worked in for over 30 years, it's not gonna change. We just have to think outside the box and deal with it.
It is not harming my business by any means so it does not drive me crazy in the since that it is really hurting me other than people thinking by me asking a reasonable price I am trying to rip them off. What really gets me is that you would think they would notice that the economy is recovering and they are busier than they have been in awhile and adjust prices as needed, but they have not, and the fact they spend good advertising dollars to do it.

It is just not lawn jockey's like us either. This month the new squirt and fert company that has taken over the commons in my HOA bought a full page ad in the HOA newsletter offering ANY LAWN, ANY SIZE for $40 per application. There are many homes of the 750 in this subdivison that are at or under 4k , but there are many that are in excess of 15 to 20K as well. It is simply amazing and I do not understand, it is one thing when the economy takes a dump and you have to do whatever you can to keep things afloat, but damn you have to take advantage of the good times right?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another point to remember is that some of these companies are just dog and pony shows. Some of these guys are retired from other fields with pensions, some have wives with great jobs and benefits that really are the support of the family etc. . They just want to stay busy to some extent and do not need to even make a profit in some cases.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was a Landscape designer and salesman for a company on the west coast of Florida in the late 80's, we were grossing close to 1.5 mill and they were still losing there butts, we had a retail nursery and a tree farm as well. They were running all kinds of ridiculous specials and paying me a 10% commission on anything I designed and sold. They even got some sucker to invest over 100k to give his son an ownership position in the company. Two years later they were out of business. Appearances can be very deceiving, do what you know you need to do to be profitable and concentrate on your business, the dog and pony shows will come and go along with the knuckle heads that have no clue.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Every year we get a new crop of Darwin Award Candidates. Learn to live with it.

25 Years ago when I first came back to Florida, I saw a $ 100,000 a years county contract for Right away mowing. I got the bid package and started my Do Diligences. It didn't take long to realize too many losers were under bidding it @ $ 10.00 an acre including trash pick up and weed eating. For some reason I have followed that contract every year to even now. Over the last 25 years there have been 10 contractors 9 of which have gone belly up. One company actually made money and kept the contract for 2 bid cycles or 4 years. But they were under bid by 25% the following Bi-annual bid cycle.

The main problem is every Northern Loser who can't make it, comes to Florida and lives with Grandma. They soon push Grandpa's Craftsman mower out of the shed and are now professional landscapers. Their landscape designs look great the day it is installed. 6 months later it is an over grown jungle.

Chief Scalp-em-up has ruined more warm season lawns than Chinch bugs, mole crickets and Brown patch combined.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Chief Scalp-em-up has ruined more warm season lawns than Chinch bugs, mole crickets and Brown patch combined."

No truer words have ever been said.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Another point to remember is that some of these companies are just dog and pony shows. Some of these guys are retired from other fields with pensions, some have wives with great jobs and benefits that really are the support of the family etc. . They just want to stay busy to some extent and do not need to even make a profit in some cases.
I can see your points. In the original post I mentioned a guy who recently had over three hundred accounts all at $55 each. Talking to him I know he was making some money but he had been at this over 20 years, had both homes paid off and of course no business debt, so he figured he was doing well enough and most of all he was happy with his life and were he is at.

I know it is to be expected to a extend, but damn!