Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How to grow?

Hi all. I am at that point where I need to expand and don't really know how to do it. I have as much as I can handle and if I could free myself up I could develop more business. I know the key is good people and marketing.

My dilema is equipment. I need more of it. I can painfully slowly buy a piece at a time or borrow money and put together a whole 2nd rig. I, of course would need to fill that rig with people.

I guess my question is how did you guys go from being a one man show to a business man that has a landscaping business with multiple employees and good accounts? Baby steps or a huge leap of faith?

That is my goal. To get from here to there. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
Hi all. I am at that point where I need to expand and don't really know how to do it. I have as much as I can handle and if I could free myself up I could develop more business. I know the key is good people and marketing.

My dilema is equipment. I need more of it. I can painfully slowly buy a piece at a time or borrow money and put together a whole 2nd rig. I, of course would need to fill that rig with people.

I guess my question is how did you guys go from being a one man show to a business man that has a landscaping business with multiple employees and good accounts? Baby steps or a huge leap of faith?

That is my goal. To get from here to there. Thank you.
Congrats on getting to this point, this probaly means you do a good service and are priced right. First question, to you is the most important. Are you really sure you want to expand and have a bigger operation, alot of guys would say yes, thats why we are in buisiness right, to get bigger and make more money, but alot of times it's not for everyone to go bigger. I would start to make a small buisiness plan of your goals with your buisness beyond this point and where you would like to go with your company. If you want to expand then go for it. Grow slow and try to not to take out to much debt would be my best advice. I expanded to quick myself and was in alittle crunch for a couple years and actually downsized to where I'm at now and I'm pretty happy to stay my size now. I would personally try to buy good quality equiptment that won't put you in alot of debt for your second crew, and look for a couple good guys that you can trust to do good work for you. Good luck pm me if you want to talk more.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Baby steps, add equipment and people as needed. If you're solo now hire a part time guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're solo now i would hire 2 guys, one to drive the truck and mow and another to do all the trimming then you can begin going out and finding more business and make these guys work a little overtime until you have saved up enough to buy the equipment. my goal is to never take any loans out. that should be everyones, debt destroys businesses
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, congrats as well! That is a good problem to have! I would go slow and steady, we built our one crew up slow and steady buying one piece at a time. We did however take a "leap" in a ways.

About the time we were planing out we bought out another company with about 100 accounts that would double ours size. This came with workable equipment and a decent customer list. So equipment and enough work to keep the truck busy were taken care of. Myself and my other guy parted ways and he took the new truck and trained up the old one again. Had to go through a couple guys to find some decent ones to fit in but soon got em. Things were slow for the first couple months as we got adjusted to everything but we are doing pretty well.

Maybe look on on Craigslist or other areas so buy out a little starter company to add to your machine? What worked for us.

The only thing I would suggest is having in place some systems for checking in, etc. You can't be everywhere anymore when you expand a bit, put in some checks and balances.

Good Luck!

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC