Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What if you could start from scratch

Hey guys. Just thought I would ask what you would do if you could start over. Would you still choose this industry or would you do anything but this kind of work. I have heard lots of people saying that this is not what they want to do but they are stuck doing it. I can see that some people are out to make a business wile others have just created a job for there selfs. What is your story?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1966 I mow my first lawn. Always into vegetable gardening because my paternal grandpa had a garden I guess.

I mowed lawns throughout high school. Seemed people only hired kids. 1972 graduated HS. There were very few landscapers. Never saw one driving around doing residential areas.

Not keen on going to college. Uncle suggested the local 2 year state college. They had a Landscape and Horticulture program. I was tempted. $5 a lawn, 40 lawns was $200 a week.

Though in the back of my mind was not enough people are hiring landscapers. Of course I was wrong about that. So I went off in other directions.

I do not regret the delay to get back into landscaping. Because I had some good opportunities. Though when I was 18 I new that I did not want to work for someone else. That I needed to be my own boss.

So I am my own boss in my 4th year and never want to go back to being an employee now.

So even though I have no regrets I wonder how far I would have grown my business If I had used 40 years instead of 4 years.

People can be happy in more then one career.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have been an electrician. Or better yet, a lottery winner.

But if I had to do it over again in the landscaping realm, I would have focused on fertilization much earlier.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax