Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgreen View Post
I've lost control twice at a condo complex with a pond and sloping banks. Both times, the bank was wet and the mower just slid right down toward the water. Fortunately trees blocked me on both occasions probably saving my life. Now I have a roll bar to keep from being pinned if that ever happens again. Once you experience this, it changes your attitude toward safety measures!
i wasn't so lucky. Slid to the drop off into a pond then rolled several times and trapped me underwater. 72" zero turn. I somehow got out from under it and walked for help. Seven broken ribs, collapsed lung and damn near lost my left leg. Looking back....I was darn lucky. I won't go anywhere near a bank next to water anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
i wasn't so lucky. Slid to the drop off into a pond then rolled several times and trapped me underwater. 72" zero turn. I somehow got out from under it and walked for help. Seven broken ribs, collapsed lung and damn near lost my left leg. Looking back....I was darn lucky. I won't go anywhere near a bank next to water anymore.
Holy crap, You are must be a important person for god saving you from that, alot of people might have just died!
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just had a local guy up by us flip over his ZTR. They said he was trapped for an "unknown" period of time and died.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I won't accept customers with ponds on their property or properties that border lakes. It's just not worth it to risk a ZTR sliding down the bank and hurting somebody.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Man killed in lawn mower accident
Posted: Aug 22, 2013 8:04 PM EDT Updated: Aug 22, 2013 8:13 PM EDT

A man was killed in Hancock County when he was pinned underneath a lawn mower.

The Hancock County sheriff's department says 53-year-old Charles Turner was operating a Scag Zero Turn lawn mower near Route 68 in Madison Township. The lawn mower rolled down a ditch bank and pinned Turner underneath.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The sheriff's department is investigating the accident.

this was on Toledo 13 News Toledo ,Ohio

Kubota 2620 W/Loader 60"Mower, 52" SnowBlower
JD 48" WalkBehind
Stihl Trimmer/Blower/ChainSaw
21" Husky mower w/Honda 160
36" Cub Cadet/Lesco G1336
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball1018 View Post
One of the reasons I got a stander is so I can bail out quickly. I have had my arm punctured with a tree branch standing on it could have been my eye if I was on a sit down. Like someone earlier i think dealers to need to go over safety with new operators. They are scary at first considering some of the top speeds of ztrs today, doesn't take but a blink of a eye and something horrible like this can happen.
Have to agree with this. I'm thinking that standers might be the only mowers we will buy in the future, unless we have larger accounts that require a sit-down mower.

One commercial property we do has a drainage ditch, both guys that work for me have slid our run-be-hind into the ditch. Luckily with the platform/sulky behind it, they just were able to step off while it happened.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stand on mower can be just a dangerous. We were mowing a site where they had cut of a metal pole and instead of it being cut of at ground level they left about 2 inches up. Front of deck hit the pole and me flying over the handle bars, I ended up with 5 stitches in the head a concusion and a black eye. Thank god for the Opc or i would have been run over. This was a one time cut and the grass was 8 inches. And these homeowner grade ztr don't come with Rops.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

My techs hate it but I've had my mechanic permanently bolt all of our ROPS in the Up position. Still working on getting them to buckle up.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
Stand on mower can be just a dangerous. We were mowing a site where they had cut of a metal pole and instead of it being cut of at ground level they left about 2 inches up. Front of deck hit the pole and me flying over the handle bars, I ended up with 5 stitches in the head a concusion and a black eye. Thank god for the Opc or i would have been run over. This was a one time cut and the grass was 8 inches. And these homeowner grade ztr don't come with Rops.
what did you hit your head on?

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
Stand on mower can be just a dangerous. We were mowing a site where they had cut of a metal pole and instead of it being cut of at ground in level they left about 2 inches up. Front of deck hit the pole and me flying over the handle bars, I ended up with 5 stitches in the head a concusion and a black eye. Thank god for the Opc or i would have been run over. This was a one time cut and the grass was 8 inches. And these homeowner grade ztr don't come with Rops.
There will always be risks involved, you'll never eliminate them completely.

Working on a commercial property, the same thing happened to me, only it was on my mini skid. One track hit a pole sticking up, throwing me off the machine and throwing the track off.
Posted via Mobile Device