Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In case you are interested.....

Just wanted to put it out there that I sprayed Solitaire for the very first time. Usually am a Q4 user but needed something labeled for Dallisgrass. The solitaire is labeled to SUPRESS, so I figure after a couple season of treatment I can get it to just go away.....we will see.

I sprayed a good amount of Dallis running all along a curb line as well as several patches of yellow nutsedge. I sprayed this past Saturday. By Tuesday afternoon all the nutsedge was completely gone. The Dallis is hurting, starting to curl, purple tint and as of this morning turning brown. I'm hoping for complete kill within the next 5-7 days. I'll take some pics and post them here.

I will be spraying about 11 properties this Saturday to prepare for aerating and seeding next month. I'll report how it works on the broadleaves and crab for any of you guys that have not used this or are wondering.

So far I can say it mixes VERY easily. It's nice to have a product with a very small scooper. Just dip it down into the jar and there are 3 different measurements to choose from on the side of the scooper. The product is not a powder. The closest thing I can think of is its similar to those little sprinkles you put on an ice cream sundae. That's what the product is shaped like. So far, very easy to mix and work with. We will see how it performs overall but my first impressions are positive thus far.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that FMC's Solitaire lists suppression of dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum) on its label? I didn't see it on the label copy linked on FMC's website.

Solitaire is a combination of sulfentrazone (Dismiss) and quinclorac (Drive), neither of which has any activity on dallisgrass. Also, seashore paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum) is listed under tolerant grasses. Usually, plants in the same genus are susceptible to the same herbicides. If a herbicide lists one Paspalum species as tolerant, ther others are often tolarent, as well.

Are you sure you have the weed species correctly identified?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Are you sure that FMC's Solitaire lists suppression of dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum) on its label? I didn't see it on the label copy linked on FMC's website.

Solitaire is a combination of sulfentrazone (Dismiss) and quinclorac (Drive), neither of which has any activity on dallisgrass. Also, seashore paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum) is listed under tolerant grasses. Usually, plants in the same genus are susceptible to the same herbicides. If a herbicide lists one Paspalum species as tolerant, ther others are often tolarent, as well.

Page 4, 14th one down in Table 2, Dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum) X Suppressed

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ms...al%20Label.pdf
Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Solitaire is a combination of sulfentrazone (Dismiss) and quinclorac (Drive), neither of which has any activity on dallisgrass.
I thought the same thing. Maybe it's whatever is in "other" listed under the ingredients.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I just checked the label through the FMC site. You are right, it doesn't list it. Maybe an old label. Not sure what ingriedents have changed.

http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/Porta...1R%20Comm1.pdf

I ran into this earlier in the summer with Q4 Plus. Was reading the label on their site PBI Gordon and it said to wait ONE WEEK re seed. Well that is NOT the timeframe I had always known after using their product. However, I had downloaded a label on my phone about a year or so ago and was reading the label because I was bored. It said to wait FOUR WEEKS to re seed. I called PBI and told him the difference. He called over to the research and development department, called me back and said the 1 week was correct. It had changed and the 1 year old label I had was no longer correct.

I think this might be the case here Skipster.

In fact, here is a thread I had aboutr the Q4......

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=407398
Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It can be confusing with different label versions floating around. The one you would be bound to by law (and the one I think you can use in the even of liability claims) is the one on the container you're using. Label changes don't happen easily and usually take a long time and a lot of money to make it happen.

As for Solitare, I haven't seen any activity on any paspalums from it, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

BTW, I've learned over the years to be a bit skeptical of FMC's labels in regards to target weeds. They often put every weed known to man on their labels and sya their products suppress them. EPA doesn't regulate which weeds you put on a label and they don't request efficacy data, so you're relying on the manufacturer to give you the "rest of the story." But, it looks to me like FMC puts all kinds of weeds on its label under the suppression category, just so they can say that their stuff has some activity on it when others don't.

But, that's just my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It can be confusing with different label versions floating around. The one you would be bound to by law (and the one I think you can use in the even of liability claims) is the one on the container you're using. Label changes don't happen easily and usually take a long time and a lot of money to make it happen.

As for Solitare, I haven't seen any activity on any paspalums from it, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

BTW, I've learned over the years to be a bit skeptical of FMC's labels in regards to target weeds. They often put every weed known to man on their labels and sya their products suppress them. EPA doesn't regulate which weeds you put on a label and they don't request efficacy data, so you're relying on the manufacturer to give you the "rest of the story." But, it looks to me like FMC puts all kinds of weeds on its label under the suppression category, just so they can say that their stuff has some activity on it when others don't.

But, that's just my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.
Well for my sake I hope that is not the case With regards to them just listing it because they feel like it. I have Dallis grass at several places that really needs to be taken out. I can tell you on my own property I sprayed it and look at it every morning after I back out of my driveway and it keeps looking sicker and sicker. I will report back to give you the final verdict.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just wondering also how this post has 275 views and only 6 responses? 4 of the 6 are mine.

Is this old news that Solitaire suppresses Dallisgrass? I thought this was a relatively new herbicide and got excited when I saw Dallis on the label. Am I the last to know this? Or, is there another hebicide that you know of besides MSMA that controls or suppresses Dallisgrass? I sure don't, at least not for cool season grass.

By the way, while leaving the house this morning that Dallisgrass I sprayed this past Saturday is hardly clinging on to life. Really starting to look rough (brown) now.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will never get rid of dallisgrass with suppression.

I'm convinced there is only one way to get rid of it.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
You will never get rid of dallisgrass with suppression.

I'm convinced there is only one way to get rid of it.
Flame thrower?