Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
GMLC, I respect your opinion but I think you're off on this one. If you compare the Scag swzt to other 48" WB's, it's pretty much right in line. The Turf Tracer outweighs it by about 15 lbs. and the Scag is actually faster. Would you consider the Turf Tracer high end home owner? The Scag is running the same damn Kawi's that you find on every other WB. I suspect that the reason for the home owner remark is that it carries a freedom deck and the lack of anti-scalp wheels. Which I agree, it definitely should have anti-scalp and I wish it carried my beloved velocity. But for 5g? A full blown hydro with transaxles?
I do hope Im wrong. The freedom deck is my main concern as Im a huge velocity fan. I should be looking at one in person tomorrow and I will take a ton of pics. Scags original info on the WB said it was entry level but last I saw that had changed as they dont even call it the freedom deck anymore. I apologize if I offended you as that wasnt my intention at all.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I do hope Im wrong. The freedom deck is my main concern as Im a huge velocity fan. I should be looking at one in person tomorrow and I will take a ton of pics. Scags original info on the WB said it was entry level but last I saw that had changed as they dont even call it the freedom deck anymore. I apologize if I offended you as that wasnt my intention at all.
I'd be very interested in your review. Offended? Not in the least. This forum is for discussion and I'm always interested in another point of view.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Do you get to use it, or just look?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
Do you get to use it, or just look?
Just got to use the new scag WB for about 20 min at the dealer. Only in the parking lot but I got a really good feel for the machine and took a bunch of pics. Im going to try to get a full demo next week. I will start a new thread tonight with my opinions with hopes of turning it into a full blown review if I get to cut with it!

I will say this now. The machine is going to have a huge niche market. Those who need this kind of machine will love it. I will go into more detail...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just got to use the new scag WB for about 20 min at the dealer. Only in the parking lot but I got a really good feel for the machine and took a bunch of pics. Im going to try to get a full demo next week. I will start a new thread tonight with my opinions with hopes of turning it into a full blown review if I get to cut with it!

I will say this now. The machine is going to have a huge niche market. Those who need this kind of machine will love it. I will go into more detail...
Looking forward to some pics and your opinions.

I need to upgrade from my Quick 36 Dually. We change heights a lot, and like the rapid height feature of the new Scag.

I'm used to a lot of deck clogging in wet conditions with the Quick. How do you think the Scag deal will deal with wet grass?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamo View Post
Looking forward to some pics and your opinions.

I need to upgrade from my Quick 36 Dually. We change heights a lot, and like the rapid height feature of the new Scag.

I'm used to a lot of deck clogging in wet conditions with the Quick. How do you think the Scag deal will deal with wet grass?

Thanks
I hope to cut with it next week and will let you know. The velocity deck cuts great in wet conditions. We will see how this one does. My review is up if you want to take a look.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand what Scag was thinking.... Why couldn't they just put these new controls on the pro v......???? If it doesn't have a velocity plus deck on it i don't even consider scag for walk behinds.... Way to many good walk behind mowers out there.

To me, scag screwed up again. I've even thought about buying a Pro V and all the parts needed to make the conversion so i would have imo the ultimate walk behind.

Wonder how many people would like to see that happen....allot. Just my .02

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
I don't understand what Scag was thinking.... Why couldn't they just put these new controls on the pro v......???? If it doesn't have a velocity plus deck on it i don't even consider scag for walk behinds.... Way to many good walk behind mowers out there.

To me, scag screwed up again. I've even thought about buying a Pro V and all the parts needed to make the conversion so i would have imo the ultimate walk behind.

That was my original thought too. Or the old scag ultimate with these controls. But after using it I realized this was meant to be a light weight WB like BOP. Its a smaller WB that will fill a niche. I bet scag sees how this sells before putting the controls on other units.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post

I bet a lot would like to see that happen but how many would actually put the cash down to buy one?

Scag in general is known to be expensive which I don't think was true (compare toro/exmark and they are inline). With the Vride they priced it pretty low and it sold like hot cakes. My guess is this is going to be their mentality for the w/b. Build it at a certain price point without short changing quality and sell a ton.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, I run a TTHP 36" that only has Exmark's trivantage deck, not the Ultra Cut 4. And it is pretty flawless in the cut.

Scag doesn't even make a 36" Velocity deck do they? I think what they have on there is fine. Now 48" on up, perhaps they could have dropped the Velocity on it.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13