Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its official, wettest summer in GA history

I feel like its rained almost every.... single... day... Then the days where it doesnt rain, its either cloudy and humid with completely saturated ground. The grass grows so fast that i end up spending half of the time cleaning up clippings. My construction side of the business has been nothing but a nightmare. As an example, for a small sod job and clean-up i have to plan two weeks ahead, schedule the tool rentals, sod delivery, and dirt. when the job comes around I am either running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to finish other jobs that have been held back from rain, or its raining and i have to postpone. EVERY JOB has been screwed up in one way or another by rain. I am very O.C.D. when it comes to landscaping, and when i cant grade properly because of soggy conditions my stress level goes through the roof.

check out what I have to do for every mason job. This was taken 3 hours ago

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We're in the same boat up here Alex, and I'm in the exact same position as you, I'm about to lose my freakin mind, we can't get one solid day of cutting OR construction in. All my jobs are getting done but with problems throughout.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We can't get anything done. Everything is soaking wet and right when it's about dry it rains again. I don't know what to do other than just get up everyday and try to work until I can't anymore. I have been working Saturdays and Sundays to get everything cut each week. I'm so burned out I can't even think straight.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree about the rain, weekly rain outs on my busy mowing days. I do have a question about the pic above, why is there an aerator, grass catcher, truck tool box, lawn roller, transmission funnel, and random bag of mulch on a masonry install?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM

I don't think my old mower will live through this season You just can't keep up with the growth in some yards. High, thick, soggy mess. Huge difference in the ease of cutting a dry yard vs a soggy yard. I need more HP!

Last edited by Charles; 08-10-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been a wet year here also but the water table is still very low. As much as I hate being rained out, I love seeing it rain.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've just resigned to go out everyday and get as much done as possible, until the monsoons start at whatever point that day and just wrap it up for the day, most of the customers have been understanding but a few others have been real A- holes about it, we've lost more this year than ever before.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

What Knoxgsl said...
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've just resigned to go out everyday and get as much done as possible, until the monsoons start at whatever point that day and just wrap it up for the day, most of the customers have been understanding but a few others have been real A- holes about it, we've lost more this year than ever before.
Im just now starting to get a few complaints because of weeds. Its pointless to spray them in the rain.

I may loose a couple, but Im realy overbooked anyway.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think my old mower will live through this season You just can't keep up with the growth in some yards. High, thick, soggy mess. Huge difference in the ease of cutting a dry yard vs a soggy yard. I need more HP!
I need some geritol or something,Im on my way do a huge yard and I cant seem to move this morning.