Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First time with heat exhaustion yesterday

So I just got back from the doctor and, well, I had my first experience with heat exhaustion yesterday. At around 4 o'clock I was driving around my truck. First, I finished a yard in a neighborhood and still had 2 more to cut. The next thing I remember is getting to a clients house (in a different neighborhood around 10 minutes away) where I had a pile of mulch waiting for me to spread. I sat there in my truck for probably 45 minutes until I said screw it and went home. I propped up on the recliner and turned on the tv. My mom happens to stop by and asks me if I was going to eat the food in the kitchen. "What food?" I said. Apparently I made some leftovers and just left it sitting in the kitchen. My mom then came in the living room and tried to have a conversation with me and I couldn't answer anything she asked. I just told her I was exhausted. So this morning I get a call from one of my clients asking why I had left a weedeater and didn't blow the property off. That's when I got into my truck and headed right to the doctor.

The most terrifying part about yesterday was I had NO CLUE anything was wrong. Anyways, be careful out there guys.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely a hot summer this year. Take care of yourself. I'm usually running around at 100mph all day. Started slowing down a bit and taking it easy. Work still gets done, and I'm feeling a lot better at the end of the day.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much water did you drink that day?

Also important to have a good breakfast an lunch to keep your energy up.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Water only and no soda or caffeine drinks. Eat lite. Slow and steady pace. Works for me.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just straight water will do it too. You need a little salt and other stuff too. Stay away from carbs and sugars on these hot days. I have performance through shaklee as a drink mix. Its a life saver, but some juice every couple of hrs or tea along with lots of water will do it. Don't trust the sports drinks. They worsen it from experence.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Definitely a hot summer this year. Take care of yourself. I'm usually running around at 100mph all day. Started slowing down a bit and taking it easy. Work still gets done, and I'm feeling a lot better at the end of the day.
At 48 there is no 100mph, Im just steady at it, I can still out work most people at any age.

The heat can literally kill you, force yourself to drink water. Take a break in the shade if necessary. If you have to skip a house because your light headed skip it until the next day.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya gotta take care of yourself when it's hot. I use a lot of little tricks to keep cool. Frozen towels, ice packs in my pocket. Wide brim vented hat. Lots of fluids, watch the sugary stuff. I also take a Magnesium and Potassium supplement with my regular vitamins. And yeah, I too have had past heat episodes where my brain just wasn't working right (hell that happens regardless of temp).

Keep in mind these episodes do have a cumulative affect. This business is a long game, save some for tomorrow. While you might be tempted to push through, you'll be better off to work an extra half day to make up some of the slack. Burn out in July and August will get ugly.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM

I think what makes this year much worse than others is the ground is saturated with water(Southeast). The Humidity is just about . unbearable. I drank a gallon of water today and ran out of it.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Just straight water will do it too. You need a little salt and other stuff too. Stay away from carbs and sugars on these hot days. I have performance through shaklee as a drink mix. Its a life saver, but some juice every couple of hrs or tea along with lots of water will do it. Don't trust the sports drinks. They worsen it from experence.
I agree with the too much water point. I used to get bad headaches after a day of working evening drinking a gallon of water, found out it was a lack of electrolytes. Now I drink half of a gatorade before I leave to work, then drink the other half when I get home. No more headaches.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never got to hot out mowing or landscaping But 2 yrs ago I got over heated bucking straw bales I was loading straw I was in a hole and in a barn I about pass out Thank god the farmer had a truck with ac I was in truck for 30mins to get my core temp down Then paid and hauled it home I so glad to get out that bottom.

When its hot I try to stay out of the ac till I'm done for the day my truck doesn't have ac.
We been starting at day break and stopping for lunch at 1-2pm and call it a day been doing this for last 2 weeks hope cool temps come back

Out 3 guys we put away 15 gallons of water each day