Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

after a week of growing, one of my customers lawns was well over a foot tall. after I cut yesterday, it was just a thick mat of clippings. It was a big mess. I took a picture while I was mowing because it was so amazing to me how tall it was after just a week. we will have a day and night of rain, and then a day of hot humid sunshine weather, then back to the rain and so on. that might be whats doing it.

I have to cut my lawn every other day, and there are still clippings after I finish. it grows about 2 or 3 inches per day. never seen it like this.

rain + sunshine = GROWTH
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got a call from one of our commercial accounts. She said we had it looking beautiful up until the past two weeks. I smoothed it over but it looks like ill be spending some time there after 5:00 today to try to get it right again.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Just got a call from one of our commercial accounts. She said we had it looking beautiful up until the past two weeks. I smoothed it over but it looks like ill be spending some time there after 5:00 today to try to get it right again.
how did that 5 o'clock downpour treat you

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
how are you going to ask for more money? I feel like my clients would instantly drop me and find someone new who will cut it for what i currently charge
Its no problem, my weekley accounts Ill catch up on the trimming. Biweekley are mostly mowing, but the ones I keep the shrubs trimmed... ill do what I can within reason, when they ask <or camplain> Ill just ask if I can keep coming in the winter months, otherwise it wont get done.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The down pour got me...maybe tomorrow. This is exactly what the problem is. Say your going to do something and have every intention on being there and then a monsoon comes at 5:00
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This weather keeps making a liar out of me
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At least were all busy in mid/late August
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
This weather keeps making a liar out of me
im sure the lady understands, and she knows that the weather has been your enemy. I hope you keep the account, but if you dont, there are plenty of other jobs out there. Last night i was confronted by an ex-client who uses my friend to maintain their property. She told me that he isnt keeping the grass at the level that she like, and every time he cuts he leaves stripes down the lawn. She wanted to fire him and hire me (hell no), so i explained to her that every landscaping company is going through issues right now because of the weather. This isnt the first time that ive been called to replace a landscaper. Its no surprise that people are upset with the way their lawn looks, but what are we supposed to do? I havent lost any clients and I have only gained 4 in the past 3 months. Tough times like these require us to communicate with people way more than we would like, but sometimes communication is the best tool we have to keep our business.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive only had problems with 2 customers, other than that they all understand, a lot of accounts have been mowed and blowed so I can catch back up.

Schedule is everything in this business.

Good news is its supposed to be dry for the next 7 days in Bamaland, according to the news that's alaways wrong
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah man, I hope she understands. I take pride in the business so I feel bad like I let a friend down or something. Maybe I can go first thing in the morning before employees arrive. We always go to commercials at the end of the day but it seems like that's when it rains. I really hate commercials because your either doing them on the weekends or late in the day to avoid cars in the parking lot.