Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a good ztr, stand on, and push mower...in what order??

So this is the setup I would like to have: Grasshopper 321D 52", Wright Stander I 36", and Exmark 21" commercial.
I am not going to over extend myself to get anything though. Any suggestions on what order to get things in?
I would guess my choices are the 21" and the 36" or the 21" and the 52" and then fill the third piece in later. +/-s??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

36" hydro walkbehind with a velke would be my 1st. Unless you have gates it can go most everywhere a 21" can go. No gates no need for a 21. Once you get established get yourself a ztr and you have the best of both worlds, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
36" hydro walkbehind with a velke would be my 1st. Unless you have gates it can go most everywhere a 21" can go. No gates no need for a 21. Once you get established get yourself a ztr and you have the best of both worlds, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
So the walk behind would be better then a stand on you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The walk behind will save you thousands and a great used one can be found for $2500. A new one for $4000. A new velke x2, IMO the best, will cost $300 and can be hung or removed in seconds. You can cut any yard including very steep hills with that one mower until you get established and determine if you need a ztr. Standers are great, but costly, unless you can find a used one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just get a damn mower and start mowing man...... who cares!!! get what ya need. Pretty easy decision
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

^^^^lol!! great advice!!! be michael jordan. just f'n do it!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 36 inch hydro wb with velke for 1300. Perfect for in backyards and as a primary mower until I save enough for a ztr. Keep your eyes out for deals, esp on craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The walk behind will save you thousands and a great used one can be found for $2500. A new one for $4000. A new velke x2, IMO the best, will cost $300 and can be hung or removed in seconds. You can cut any yard including very steep hills with that one mower until you get established and determine if you need a ztr. Standers are great, but costly, unless you can find a used one.
Posted via Mobile Device
You say the walk-behind can save you thousands but does it really if you decide to buy a ZTR later after your established? If you buy the right stander you can have the advantage of a walk-behind, ZTR and stander all in one and that could save you a lot money in the long run.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It does for me because I wouldn't have any use for a 36" ztr. The 36" wb would become my backup if/when I decided to do as the OP and get a 52. The 36" would only used when I absolutely had to.

If you plan on running only 1 mower and staying with a 36" then the stander would be great, but he listed a 52".

Being that the OP doesn't want to overextend himself, a wb, IMO, is the best way to start. If you pay $2500 for a good/great used wb, its still worth something when/if you decide to sell it. You're certainly not going to lose $1000's. If he keeps it, which is what I would do as a backup is always a good idea, he has a cheap backup if something happens to the ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
It does for me because I wouldn't have any use for a 36" ztr. The 36" wb would become my backup if/when I decided to do as the OP and get a 52. The 36" would only used when I absolutely had to.

If you plan on running only 1 mower and staying with a 36" then the stander would be great, but he listed a 52".

Being that the OP doesn't want to overextend himself, a wb, IMO, is the best way to start. If you pay $2500 for a good/great used wb, its still worth something when/if you decide to sell it. You're certainly not going to lose $1000's. If he keeps it, which is what I would do as a backup is always a good idea, he has a cheap backup if something happens to the ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device
I main reason I was considering the the 36" stander was because their so short and maneuverable especially since on the Wrights your over the tires vs a WB where your way out in back. Am I looking at that wrong? Is it not that much of a difference?
I had a 36" exmark awhile back and I would have to take the velky off a lot to maneuver.
Posted via Mobile Device