Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

New Grass Seed Help

Hi folks,

Three and a half weeks ago I planted new grass seed and fertilized (in MA, sunny area, used sod quality sunny grass seed mix...rye, fescue, and bluegrass). Fast forward to today, I have:
  • 30% of my lawn that's thick and nice
  • 40% that's neither thick, nor thin...hoping it'll continue to thicken?
  • 20% that I'd call definitely thin
  • 10% that didn't grow well because the sprinkler screwed up on the first day and blasted that area hard with water

So...I'm debating what to do. Fertilize again, continue to water, and hope it all thickens and fills in? Or maybe use a manual aerator (the kind you step on) over all the thin areas and overseed? Or maybe just lay some additional grass seed down over everything, no aeration, fertilize and continue to water?

What's the recommended course?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Allow the ground to dry up enough to walk on,,, go out and broadcast more seed in the desired areas, by hand,,, then broadcast compost by hand over the top of the seed w/out smothering the existing grass...
If you've already fertilized, then just wait for the time to put down a winterizer...

You are cutting back on the watering now,,, correct???
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You are cutting back on the watering now,,, correct???
I wasn't, since there were so many grass blades under 1" tall, but I can? I currently do 10 minute waterings, 3x a day.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are in a heat wave here so while it is 90 degrees and full sun a couple of time in the mid-day would be fine, but once the seed has germinated it is better to ensure a deep soaking for the roots to grow as much as possible... the problem with continued often and shallow irrigation is that it can easily compact the soil, cause the soil to puddle rather than percolate and keep the roots from growing to there fullest potential deep into the ground...
It is not possible for anyone to give you specific instructions as to how much water your seedlings needs from a distance, becuz we can't see how your grass does in the heat of the day, but I would say that if you're below 90 degrees you should be fine soaking it in the morning then waiting for the ground(not the grass), the ground to dry before watering again... cool-season grasses often remain 1 inch high for a period of weeks while the roots are growing 4 inches or more into the soil...
it is a good idea to see that your water is percolating through the soil to at least 4 inches in a single watering, but preferably more...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Great thanks. Quick q though...If I broadcast more seed, I'll need to keep the watering as is for another 3+ weeks because it's new seed, no?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not as much because this has now become an 'overseed' situation as opposed to a new lawn from dirt situation... overseeding requires less water due to the fact it has cover from its neighbors and the compost will hold the moisture for the seed adequately...
If the specific areas seem to need water once a day and it is hot, then maybe,,, but,,, it is not generally good for the existing grass and I would place it at a higher priority... you don't want to ruin the entire soil structure for a few more seedlings...
What you could do is put off adding the additional seed till next month when the temps are cooler and the dew is heavier...