Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Are you just spraying your own lawn? Is it centipede, St. Augustine, Bermuda or Zoysia? Each required a different fertilize schedule and amount. Let us know before spraying anything. You'll kill centipede quickly even using wrong fertilize.
If you could give me a schedule for all four of those types of grass and i am licensed
Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschofield22 View Post
If you could give me a schedule for all four of those types of grass and i am licensed

You are licensed, REALLY???? What the heck were you tested on???
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
You are licensed, REALLY???? What the heck were you tested on???
It was mainly pesticide information. No fertilizers
Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your truly lic. then do your self a favor read on her a ton talk to a bunch of reps then you will have to sort through the bs they try and sell and figure out what is worth spending more money on its not as easy as you think never mind 4 types of grass I have two and four years into this and learn more every day.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschofield22 View Post
It was mainly pesticide information. No fertilizers

Yes, go talk to a few different distributors and find out what they are "selling" and how their programs work. That would probably help a lot. Fertilizing is a lot like pizza. Chicago people like deep dish that you need a fork and knife to eat, New York people like super thin crust that needs to be folded to eat. Got to find out what works for your area. Several different approaches will work. Practice on friends/family lawns to see what different people are telling you to use. Contact your local county extension office for lots of info.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Unfortunately, You cannot get enough water volume per thousand square feet out of that type of sprayer to effectively apply fertilizer. Put another way, you would have to keep going over a 5-8,000 square foot lawn repeatedly until you emptied the tank. Otherwise you will be faced with either putting down an insignificant amount of fertilizer or putting it down unsafely (huge likelihood of burning everything you spray).

That sprayer could work for spraying weeds - spot or blanket application - if carefully calibrated.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I like your mower though.
I have the same sprayer he does. I made a lot of adjustments and mine is mounted on the front of a toro grandstand though.

I changed from the 2 wide angle tips to 3 8004 tips. I get 1.2 gal per k going 2 mph.

Is that enough volume to spray fertilizer? I've heard from various posters on here to spray at least 3 gal per k. However I work at a golf course and the tips we use on the greens put out 54 gal/A which is just a little over a gal per K.

To the OP you need to change those tips. If you're spraying residential lawns those tips spray WAY too wide and you'll be spraying not only the lawn but whatever shrubs or flowers that might be there. Looks like you have them too low. The recommended spray height is 18" for those tips.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
I have the same sprayer he does. I made a lot of adjustments and mine is mounted on the front of a toro grandstand though.

I changed from the 2 wide angle tips to 3 8004 tips. I get 1.2 gal per k going 2 mph.

Is that enough volume to spray fertilizer? I've heard from various posters on here to spray at least 3 gal per k. However I work at a golf course and the tips we use on the greens put out 54 gal/A which is just a little over a gal per K.

To the OP you need to change those tips. If you're spraying residential lawns those tips spray WAY too wide and you'll be spraying not only the lawn but whatever shrubs or flowers that might be there. Looks like you have them too low. The recommended spray height is 18" for those tips.
I wil look at raising it. Could you send me a couple pictures of how you have it mounted and how you put the three tips on?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This may require some experimentation on your own lawn. Cautiously. High rates of urea will burn --especially at high temperatures. Especially fine fescue or bentgrass. The solution can dry on the leaf--and then it tends to draw moisture out of the leaf. The result is tip burn--or worse. Don't plan on applying a pound of nitrogen (2.2 pounds of urea) per thousand sqft--apply less and work up to it. Find your limit on your own grass, first.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LawnSharkMB,
At 1.2 gal/m I would probably feel safe trying 2 passes and half rate for fertilizer. Are they using that tip and rate for everything at the golf course or just sprayed fertilizer applications? I would guess they are spoon feeding at something less than 1/4 #N/M but I could be wrong. I do not know much about warm season turf.

Yours was a good post, definitely. DJ could make the changes you suggested and possibly be ok. The fact is, though, he is only going to be able to cover a few thousand square feet out of that tank. Spraying at 1/4# or less on lawns isn't going to do much; spraying at 1/2-3/4 or more seems very risky at low volumes of water.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just to throw you guys a curveball on rates. I have been spraying .4 lbs N at 50% and 75% slow release at .75 gallons finished solution with no burn and good results.

Even sprayed in the 100+heat we had in July just to see what limits I could push.

All cool season turf so keep in mind what is working for me may not work for you.

I would love to get a little more volume out of my rig but its just not gonna happen. I have tried every trick to get more.

Tags
chemicals , fertilizer plan , fertilizer program , liquid ferts , sprayers