Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

new jd zero turns

Now people on here say that the mulch on demand is not that great and would rather have the standard deck. Now is this mod deck better on certain grasses. I have always loved the pro deck with mulch kit but I am in the market for an mod deck. I live in Florida and cut st.Augustine grass.I like the mod idea.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a regular deck and then ship it to me and I'll ship my MOD to you. It looks like new still, but I simply prefer the std deck over the MOD for my area. On stiff grasses, the MOD cuts beautifully, so you won't have any issues there. It actually cuts pretty darn good everywhere, but I am extremely picky, and on some of the places I cut, the std deck is a lot better up here.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I will not buy another MOD Deck. I hate mine. Most of my yards I have to go over twice. It will leave a windrow on the right side unless you make the baffles longer under the deck. I wish i would have gotten just the regular deck and added a mulch kit. Dont waste your money on the striping kit either if it is that stupid flap that thing is useless. I love the mower though as far as power, speed, comfort, and quality of build.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So with the mod off and the mower in standard full discharge it does not cut as good as the standard deck?

I have heard guys complain about it but never realized if it was while using the feature or if it plain sucked at discharge too.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They discharge fine. I've posted pics on here not to long ago of mine discharging some thick,tall grass without clumping or any other issues. I recently cut some 2' tall and extremely thick field rye mixed with several different weeds. The rye had stems that were about 3/16" thick, and the whole mess was very damp. It cut through that with relative ease and discharged great doing it. I keep my deck set up with the two adjustable/removeable baffles underneath removed until leaf season.

The thing about the MOD deck I don't like is that it is very finicky about the set up that you choose concerning baffle settings, and blade choice, and it changes for various conditions. It is more tightly baffled than the UC deck the way it comes from the factory with the exception of the discharge chute. It is far better in wet conditions than the UC is. The MOD function is really just a small bit better than an OCDC unless you set it up right with wavy mulchers. I made my own baffles for the underneath that really work well for true mulching with the wavy blades in grass, and especially so on leaves.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I HATE my MOD deck. My baffles get out of unlined all the time then the blades hit and then new blades. It also doesn't cut as nice as my others on high end turf
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never new this mod deck was that bad. I guess in the future I will stick with the pro deck with mulch kit. I so wanted this mod deck.oh well
Old 08-10-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Heritage View Post
I HATE my MOD deck. My baffles get out of unlined all the time then the blades hit and then new blades. It also doesn't cut as nice as my others on high end turf
that scares me
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Heritage View Post
Maybe you aren't tightening the bolt/nut enough that holds them in place? I have never had any issue with that not have I ever heard of that before. Are you still using the ny-lock nuts or did they fall out and you are using something else?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I never new this mod deck was that bad. I guess in the future I will stick with the pro deck with mulch kit. I so wanted this mod deck.oh well
Down where you are in the stiff southern grasses, you may find that you like it very much. It just isn't my first choice for the limp northern grasses.

I did add the seat suspension insert kit yesterday. Holy cow, what a difference!
I wish I had done that last year when I bought it, but I had read some say it helped, while others say not much difference, and yet otherrs say none at all. To that I can say BS. It helps a LOT. I bought the kit from Deere instead of E-bay or somewhere, because I wanted one that fit exactly, and would allow the seat its full range of adjustments. The instructions sucked as usual, and half the stuff they say to remove or change isn't needed (at least on a 2012 machine). I am one happy cutter now. I plan to either add flex forks once they finally become available, or the pneumatic fronts off the 915B. I know from personal experience with the pneumtaics that they make the ride a heap better. Those combined with the seat kit will make it a lot more fun to mow than it already is for me.