Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

100 is a great price. Get a 2 wheel tho. Make sure the bearings are good.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes mowing View Post
100 is a great price. Get a 2 wheel tho. Make sure the bearings are good.
well thats what i thought, and it would make cutting bigger lawns faster, do you know how easy it is to make a zero turn affect say riding a sulky? or is it not safe to do
Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it with mine alot. It's a little tough but once you get the hang of it its easier. Most of the time its easier to just do a 3 point turn tho. Mine is a hydro mower tho.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The super slow system deck is a fabricated deck that has a square look to it, otherwise it has the cheap round stamped deck. It all comes down to quality, if your "buddies" Exmark is fairly new he wouldn't let it go for less then $2,500.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
The super slow system deck is a fabricated deck that has a square look to it, otherwise it has the cheap round stamped deck. It all comes down to quality, if your "buddies" Exmark is fairly new he wouldn't let it go for less then $2,500.

Michael
well it isnt the super flow deck but it is the floating deck, my thing is that you have to spend at least $1500 to get even a decent residential mower, so im thinking if i can get him down about $50 - $100 on price tht'll be good, i have a craftsman so anything like that toro will b better even though it is used. If it lasts me a few years i'll be fine with that, i dont want to spend more than $800 since im only 16 and cash is hard to come by.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

gotta spend it to make it. If your lawns are currently taking you less than 90 minutes then you should just save your money and wait a couple more years.

At 16 I was mowing 6-7 lawns and made $250 after fuel and oil. Now at 21 I am fully licensed and insured, go to college part-time, run a buddies construction jobs in the winter and I am making $1,800 a week after expenses on average throughout the lawn season. This Spring I had two $3,000 weeks, it all comes down to having a good reputation and busting your butt to get the job done well.

maybe you should spend $600-$800 on a new 21"-22" mower?

I just googled "toro super flow system" and a photo of one of the stamped decks had it written on it. both the stamped deck and the fabricated came in a floating deck. The fabricated is much more heavy duty, the deck itself is a square/rectangle whereas the stamped deck is round/oval.

Michael

where are you located?

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN

Last edited by CowboysLawnCareDelaware; 08-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well then again i'm not sure if it is, on the front of the cutting deck it has a angle to it, but if i coulf get about 20 mins off my lawn cutting time then i would be happy, if i could do that after 2 lawns i could mow 1 more for the equivalent of 3. (if that makes sense). I have a craftsman 21" gold series mower now that don't sound like is running that great and i do good maintenance on it. I'll still use it but i i could cut lawns faster then that sounds good to me, i've already worked for almost a full 2 years at it and i think its about time i upgrade so i could maybe do a lil bigger lawns. Then in a couple years get a big mower so i can do huge lawns. I know that's where the money is
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

the walk behind i bought came with a sulky. I used it once and put it back in the garage. don't like it. turning is a pain unless you are doing a big area to make wide out turns.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

actually i went a tried out the mowers about 5 hours ago, i love the toro, turning was easy because it acted as a zero turn mower in a sense, well we all got different ways we like to do things, and a walk behind obviously isn't for everyone
Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Troy-Built has timed blades, and when the timing belt snaps there is almost always damage to the blade spindles, pulleys (which are plastic), and / or deck pulley brackets - which are made of very thin cheap steel that bend easily.

See if he will sell you the Proline only. That Troy-Built could cost you up to $400 in parts to fix and you would be lucky to sell it (fixed) for that price. The seller probably knows this which is why he wants to sell it with the Toro.

Good luck either way!

Tags
cheap , deal , good , lawn mower , toro