Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

YellowPages Advertising - Overrated?

I did one half page ad in YellowBook last year. I had a horrible rep and I got the short stick and had a blah ad, however I do believe because he was out to get rich quick and did not care about the clients that is why I got a good deal for my ad to be the first listed. However, it did not really produce mass results or really much of any results. I have had a few phone calls about landscape design/build, but they were more of general price inquiries of what it would cost as I did not land any of them. I have had more people from the ad calling me trying to sell me uniforms, newspaper advertising, etc. than actual prospects.

A very successful landscape contractor who also does business and marketing consulting said the best advertising is direct mail and postcards, not doing a mass mailer, but finding your target customers (annual income, location) and market each specific service to them separately and not just COMPANY LANDSCAPING.

I do want to do the direct mail but I believe I am going to hold off until next spring and do three drops to my target customer, one in early march, first of april and first of may. We are already reaching 90 degree heat and that is when work apart from weekly mowing begins to taper off. But in the meantime, a new rep has contacted me about a renewal. $1,400.00 for the same size and primary listing under Landscape Contractor. I do feel I may have had crappy results because of a crappy ad, did not even have our logo, just our name and our list of services. I am curious if I produce a custom ad if it will generate better results or just save my $1,400 and put towards expanding next springs direct mailer??

What is your experience on marketing or even the yellow pages?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had a add in yellow book it cost 2000 for the year. wasnt worth it i do better in the local papers. never again and my wife told me not to do it, know i have to hear it, i told u so.
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya yellow pages you need to go really big or go home.

Post cards are way better imo.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there still a phone book? Haven't seen one in years
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dropped the yellow pages. Their prices went through the roof.
And customer service here is outsourced to India.

They pidgeon hole you into the area that you advertise in. This includes their online services.

What if you can't afford the other areas, yet you have clients there?
The other thing is, If you do pick up a good client some-where and want to advertise and get others in the same area, you have to wait a year for the next book to be published.

They sent my invoice to an empty lot for the last year I was with them. I called to find out where my bill was every month and was told, "it was sent to this address"

Why did they change my billing address?

I would ask them to change it back to the address in the ad....."Yes sir, it is done"
Next month, no invoice. It was sent to an empty lot, in another city yet.

YP may work for you. I get more responses from people on line.
I also found YP and the paper tend to bring out the tire kickers and looky loos

While I'm on the subject, Sears has outsourced. I ordered a dryer part and was told it would be in in ten days. I went to pick it up and it wasn't even registered on their mainframe that I had called. No Part. I had to wait again.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My local guy I dealt with that sign me up for some yellow pages was a pretty bad salesman and liar. He told me" Oh ya, in the past 2 weeks I've receive at least 10 calls of customers looking for your name but you weren't on the phone book"

Such BS, he tried to sell me like 2 pages in yellow pages worth 2500$+. And they keep calling me every now and then to see if I want to upgrade my ads, they are super annoying.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yellow pages advertising is a waste of time and money. If you want tire kickers place an ad. The bigger the ad the more kickers that call.

I speak from a friends experience. They had a verizon ad, with commercial phone line, high speed internet package etc, etc. The package was like $1100 a month, with 1 year contract. They were always busy, estimates, work, repairs, you name it. At the end of the year they evaluated their profits and expences. They made more money, but at a lower margine. Their profits were disapearing in the phone bill. Plus they had the added burden of spending $1100 a month. The next year they didn't do any where near as much work, but had less repairs, expences, and still made the same ammount at a higher margine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS View Post
Is there still a phone book? Haven't seen one in years
LOL I think we have one somewhere here. We ran a good sized ad a few years ago, cost around 1k and got 1 pita call from it. We still are in there but my rep. is pretty cool, she got me a nice, just smaller than a business card sized ad for a really good price. We get a couple calls here and there from it but its more for legitimacy purposes.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcw615 View Post
I did one half page ad in YellowBook last year. I had a horrible rep and I got the short stick and had a blah ad, however I do believe because he was out to get rich quick and did not care about the clients that is why I got a good deal for my ad to be the first listed. However, it did not really produce mass results or really much of any results. I have had a few phone calls about landscape design/build, but they were more of general price inquiries of what it would cost as I did not land any of them. I have had more people from the ad calling me trying to sell me uniforms, newspaper advertising, etc. than actual prospects.

A very successful landscape contractor who also does business and marketing consulting said the best advertising is direct mail and postcards, not doing a mass mailer, but finding your target customers (annual income, location) and market each specific service to them separately and not just COMPANY LANDSCAPING.

I do want to do the direct mail but I believe I am going to hold off until next spring and do three drops to my target customer, one in early march, first of april and first of may. We are already reaching 90 degree heat and that is when work apart from weekly mowing begins to taper off. But in the meantime, a new rep has contacted me about a renewal. $1,400.00 for the same size and primary listing under Landscape Contractor. I do feel I may have had crappy results because of a crappy ad, did not even have our logo, just our name and our list of services. I am curious if I produce a custom ad if it will generate better results or just save my $1,400 and put towards expanding next springs direct mailer??

What is your experience on marketing or even the yellow pages?
The problem with Yellow Pages is that it's hard to really narrow and target your audience and know when your audience receives your marketing message. It's kind of up in the air and you don't really have full control.

With something like a direct mail piece, you are actively staying in front of your prospect. With people's busy lives these days, they're not always thinking of "gotta hire a landscaper" - with direct mail, they see your message, your offer, and you're helping to remind them that they need your services (or even sparking a new idea).

Direct mail postcards work wonders within the landscaping industry! You can download and read these real-life case studies to see for yourself, here's the link: http://www.postcardmania.com/7-ways-...caping-empire/

Sylvia Heneghan
Old 05-12-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

We have had very little response from the yellow pages as well.

We get tremendously more calls/emails from our website via google.

I think most people look online first, google makes it very convenient to find a service provider in a persons local area. We find most calls come from within 5 km of us due to google mapping the location close to their home address.