Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally got my baby! Exmark x-series RED 980 kohler

All I can say about this machine is wow! It mows in low what most machines dream to cut wide open. The red control system is phemominal. I have a real keen ear for engines since I grew up around race cars and street racing and I can barely hear that red stepping up the governor. One time today I was mowing some heavy stuff and had it wide open and that red just plowed through and when it got thin again I could hear it go up to about 3800 for a millisecond.' Sold my e-series for just a few hunskys less than I bought It for since I get everything at cost where I work. The engine is super quiet, and wide open this thing sounds like a helicopter. One thing that's gotta go is those damn semi pneumatic tires! Feels like they are at 50 psi all the time. The few open country jobs will be a lot quicker with this thing for sure
[URL=http://s897.photobucket.com/user/justinmargist/media/D00112A9-CC5E-4394-A47D-F2671062ED4C.jpg.html][/URL

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's a sweet machine!

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Congrats! It's a sweet machine.

I've had my 60 inch red for almost three months now and also found that the low setting is just fine for 99% of what I cut in the summer...in fact the times I have run it on economy or high have been purely because I was doing a large relatively smooth field where I could actually push it up to full speed without compromising the quality of cut.
But what really makes me smile is the fuel economy....On the last gph check I did (a few weeks ago) it had improved from the initial 1.1 gph (at 5 hours) to right at 1 gph (at 140 hours) Which is really phenomenal considering how much more powerfull this engine is (on low at that) than my previous xseries's 29hp efi kohler which just managed 1.3 gph. I have the 34hp kohler btw, yours has the 40hp so I'm sure the gph will be a bit higher.

The only issue I have encountered on it so far is due to the crappy spark plug connectors Kohler uses....if you don't pinch them closed before putting them back on they are so loose they'll vibrate loose after a while and that happened with one the first day I had it and then again a month ago on the other one. Easy fix though. I knew what it was though pretty quick as the same thing happened on my previous 29efi xseries.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any of the computer problems some had initially. I'll keep this machine 6 to 7 years if it doesn't develope any major problems.

Last edited by Dawson; 11-11-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
Congrats! It's a sweet machine.

I've had my 60 inch red for almost three months now and also found that the low setting is just fine for 99% of what I cut in the summer...in fact the times I have run it on economy or high have been purely because I was doing a large relatively smooth field where I could actually push it up to full speed without compromising the quality of cut.
But what really makes me smile is the fuel economy....On the last gph check I did (a few weeks ago) it had improved from the initial 1.1 gph (at 5 hours) to right at 1 gph (at 140 hours) Which is really phenomenal considering how much more powerfull this engine is (on low at that) than my previous xseries's 29hp efi kohler which just managed 1.3 gph. I have the 34hp kohler btw, yours has the 40hp so I'm sure the gph will be a bit higher.

The only issue I have encountered on it so far is due to the crappy spark plug connectors Kohler uses....if you don't pinch them closed before putting them back on they are so loose they'll vibrate loose after a while and that happened with one the first day I had it and then again a month ago on the other one. Easy fix though. I knew what it was though pretty quick as the same thing happened on my previous 29efi xseries.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any of the computer problems some had initially. I'll keep this machine 6 to 7 years if it doesn't develope any major problems.
I was wondering where you got the 40 hp number from? Your statement about caught my eye since I hadn't heard of Kohler having a efi that large when talking to our local Exmark dealer, so I checked Kohler's site. They show it as 34.8 hp, so it should do pretty well on fuel usage for the OP.

The following is lifted directly from the ECV980 specs chart-

Model

Command PRO EFI ECV980

J1940 Power hp(kW) 1 ()
Displacement cu in (cc) 61 (999)
Bore in (mm) 3.5 (90)
Stroke in (mm) 3.1 (78.5)
Peak Torque lbs. ft (Nm) 53 (71.9)
Compression Ratio 8.8:1
Dry Weight lbs (kg) 127 (57)
Oil Capacity U.S. quarts (L) 2.1 (2)
Lubrication Full pressure w/full-flow filter
Dimensions L x W x H in 25.2 x 19 x 18.5
Backpressure Limit 2 40
J1995 Power hp (kW) 3 34.8 (26)
J1995 Rated Speed (RPM) 3600
Old 11-11-2014, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I was wondering where you got the 40 hp number from? Your statement about caught my eye since I hadn't heard of Kohler having a efi that large when talking to our local Exmark dealer, so I checked Kohler's site. They show it as 34.8 hp, so it should do pretty well on fuel usage for the OP.

The following is lifted directly from the ECV980 specs chart-

Model

Command PRO EFI ECV980

J1940 Power hp(kW) 1 ()
Displacement cu in (cc) 61 (999)
Bore in (mm) 3.5 (90)
Stroke in (mm) 3.1 (78.5)
Peak Torque lbs. ft (Nm) 53 (71.9)
Compression Ratio 8.8:1
Dry Weight lbs (kg) 127 (57)
Oil Capacity U.S. quarts (L) 2.1 (2)
Lubrication Full pressure w/full-flow filter
Dimensions L x W x H in 25.2 x 19 x 18.5
Backpressure Limit 2 40
J1995 Power hp (kW) 3 34.8 (26)
J1995 Rated Speed (RPM) 3600
I just did a quick google search on the engine model # in his pictures when I saw that his machine has a 72inch deck and came up with this page? Kind of threw me off too, I thought that engine came in just 34 and 38hp flavors?

edit, some other links to that model number say 37 hp so I don't know?....I know it's more hp than the ecv940 that's on my machine though.

Last edited by Dawson; 11-11-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those were the numbers I was familiar with, and the numbers Kohler used before finally going to the new ratings. Now its 31.9 and 34.8 respectively.

I think someone in that ad is spreading a little "sunshine" to make the engine more appealing. Either that, or they mistakenly read the back pressure number as being the HP number.

The non efi CV1000 is 37 hp, but as mentioned, it's non efi.

Regardless, the OP (and you) have a nice machine with a powerful engine that does well on fuel. Can't ask for more than that these days.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Those were the numbers I was familiar with, and the numbers Kohler used before finally going to the new ratings. Now its 31.9 and 34.8 respectively.

I think someone in that ad is spreading a little "sunshine" to make the engine more appealing. Either that, or they mistakenly read the back pressure number as being the HP number.

The non efi CV1000 is 37 hp, but as mentioned, it's non efi.

Regardless, the OP (and you) have a nice machine with a powerful engine that does well on fuel. Can't ask for more than that these days.
Hmm, I've always heard that Kohler's hp numbers are optimistic at best...so they've changed the way they come up with the hp rating I guess? Is it more accurate now? I'm guessing so since the numbers went down.

I wonder what they would say if I complained that I paid for a 34 hp engine and only got a 32 hp engine according to their own new specs?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
Hmm, I've always heard that Kohler's hp numbers are optimistic at best...so they've changed the way they come up with the hp rating I guess? Is it more accurate now? I'm guessing so since the numbers went down.

I wonder what they would say if I complained that I paid for a 34 hp engine and only got a 32 hp engine according to their own new specs?
Kawi changed to the new and accurate J1995 ratings at the beginning of 2012, but Kohler didn't start coming around until this year, and B&S is finally starting to as well. Before that they used J1940, which was way over inflated as far as HP numbers went. Now that J1995 is the std, J1940 has even been tightened up, and is why the J1940 number (when it's listed in Kohler's spec charts) is closer to J1995 now.

I am betting they wouldn't know what you were talking about if you asked your dealer. Most of them only go by whatever is labeled on the engine.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the Toro version in 60 inch cut that I like a lot. How is the 70" deck as far as cut, scalping, maneuverability, etc? When I am in the pasture I wish I had the bigger cut.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Question. Does it make one hell of a mess when you remove the oil filter on those engines? I've never understood why all engines aren't designed so that the oil filter is mounted vertically upside down, virtually eliminating the spill factor.