Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

New BP blower

Hi guys, my name is Jeff this is my first post, long time lurker reading as much as i can usually, but ive read all i can read so i have to ask the question.

Im in the market for a new BP blower. I have a few very large yards to clean surrounded by trees, so there are quite a few leaves to clean. I have been using a Stihl BR600 for the past few years and it does a good job, but i am looking to get done quicker and from what i am reading the Redmax/Husky 570 and 580 are alot better. Question is which one... Primary concern for me is leaf clean up and front of property ditch clean out. Not so much grass clippings, the 600 does that just fine. The primary function of the new BP will be fall leaf clean up/ winter sidewalk snow removal and spring clean up ( fallen branches/stuck leaves..etc) From all the posts ive read I think the 570/7500 is what i need, but I can get the 580/8500 for about $50 more.. but not sure if its worth it. I demo'd an Echo 770 at the dealer yesterday, and it seemed to do well, but it didnt seem to do alot better than the BR600 that i use. maybe because it was brand new off the shelf and not fully broken in..Plus the dealer was not budging off MSRP.... Any suggestions would help..from what i read the 570 will scour better (maybe better cleaning out the ditches??)but the 580 will blow leaves better???... I did watch Ridin' green's you tube video and they both seem to be close to equal.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a BR600 and Husky 580 and need to do a comparison thread.

If I had to pick one blower, I'd take the BR600, all day long. I'm glad I only paid $440 for the 580, otherwise, I wouldn't be happy about my purchase.

BR600:
Better quality of air
Better fit - harness and ergos
Better throttle control
Lighter trigger
Better handle assembly
Longer tube
Lighter weight
More compact
Lighter, more flexible outlet tube
Quieter
Better on fuel
Easier to start

580:
More quantity of air

I use the 580 on two properties. One is a parking lot that has to be blown and the second is a heavily wooded place with a very long drive. Places I only care about quantity of air; not quality. The best way to describe the airflow is the 580 is like a Boeing 747 engine (huge volume that just pukes out) and the BR is like a fighter jet engine (velocity and pin-point airflow). You can choose one or the other, but, not both. The 580 is a leaf blower; not a debris blower. Don't even think you'll use it to clear a sidewalk, after edging. It's the same with wet clipping on pavement.

The main problem of the 580 is the ergonomics are just horrible. Whoever decided the handle should be offset to the side of the tube should be shot. That does nothing but create a leverage situation that is incredibly strenuous on the wrist and hand (definitely not OSHA-approved). The tube's joints are ill-placed, which has caused them to put the handle much further up the tube. Your elbow is bent and you're forced to hold up the entire weight of the tube with the crappy, offset handle. The Stihl feels natural, in use; you're just guiding the tube and not supporting it. The 580 is just so fatiguing to use, I leave it on the trailer. I dread using it at all, except it moves such a huge amount of leaves.

This is the distance difference between handles.

The difference in tube diameter is apparent.

Size difference.

I wouldn't recommend spending the money on the 580, if you already have a BR600. The difference in airflow is just not worth the discomfort and cost, IMHO.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a new blower and was reading old threads last night about these 2 blowers. I was surprised at the supporters of the RM. Subscribed. I found a local RM deer by accident last week. Thing is there are 2 stihl dealerships within 10 miles. I think that also has to be considered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The stihls have a $50 instant rebate right now.... the 8000 redmax does blow a hair better there us a really good demo of all blowers using tube system and u can see the difference. I thing with the $50 rebate stihl is a buy for the money. Its more comfortable to me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stopped at the steel dealership. They were unsure of the rebate. They think it's $50 off your next purchase. Being that it was Saturday the boss wasn't there so they couldn't find out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP-
for what you are describing wanting the bigger blower for (leaves as well as spring clean-ups), the 570 is the way to go. I agree that the handle design isn't as nice as the Stihl's (which I also owned but sold because I quit using it after getting the 570).

I am not sure what the deal is with ducnut's upper tube where the handle mounts. Mine is much longer in that area and I can adjust the handle back and forth to be just as comfortable and the same reach to it as on the 600. I don't like the offset design, but it is minor compared to the performance from it compared to the 600. the 600 starts easier cold, and has great low speed control, but the 570 blows it away at 3/4 throttle and up. The shoulder harness on the 570 is so vastly superior to the Stihl (and every other BP), that I can overlook the offset handle gladly. I wear my BP's for many hours straight every fall each day, and the 600 wears me out having to constantly re-adjust it on my shoulders. I can bend down to pick up rocks, pieces of asphalt, trash etc with the Husky on, and it stays right where it is on my back. Plus, the 570 doesn't weigh as much as the 580, and not that much more than the 600.

There's simply no comparison in power between the 570/580 and the 600 when lots of leaves are what you are dealing with. I also like the fact that there are only 3 moving parts inside the Husky's while there are 15 or 20 inside the 600. The 600 is a great blower, and about as good as it gets for grass clean-ups on parking lots etc., and does well on leaves, but the other two are a large step up in performance.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 10-18-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Stopped at the steel dealership. They were unsure of the rebate. They think it's $50 off your next purchase. Being that it was Saturday the boss wasn't there so they couldn't find out.
Posted via Mobile Device
I get e-mails and rebate offers from Stihl almost daily. Nothing about $50 off so far, and I just received the last one the day before yesterday. $20 of my next purchase was what that one was for.

Could be that stihl just started a fleet week program though and I haven't received notification on it yet.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Upside to the 570/580 is they come with hip and chest straps that you have to buy separate from Stihl. ($45 value). I think the br600 is way more comfortable than the 580 if you have the hip and chest straps. If you don't have them you will have the same problems as ridingreen is talking about. If you can still get the 580/570 for $440 like some of us did I think that is the bang for the buck. My stihl dealer has 12% off blowers along with $50 checks so that puts it below $400 and you can get 20% off the straps. I love my dealer!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Ridin about the 600.. I really hate the feel of it on my back, moves around too much, always have to adjust..glad im not the only one..

Right now my stihl dealer has a 600 for $479 on sale.. I can get a Husky 570 for $459 (online) as i do not have really any dealers that deal with husky blowers, just lawn mowers and saws... The 1 dealer that does carry them quoted me msrp $499 anyway... The only redmax dealer in the area said $525 for a 7500 as well.

Ridin- how is the low speed of the 570 compared to stihl? i do like the way the stihl works at low throttle when blowing out flower beds, it has a nice precise airflow out the tube.. Wondering how the 570 compares there.