Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
I got to run one of these and loved it. it was at an open house and the rep was there. I told him I couldn't believe they would come out with a mower like this and not have the tried and true v+ deck on it. he said that is what EVERYONE has been saying but the deck on this mower was to keep pricing down and was a good business decision. Not sure how he can really figure that as there was a bunch of guys listening to our conversation that said they loved the machine but wouldn't own one without a velocity deck................ SCAG IF YOUR OUT THERE we run exmark tt and metros because of there controls. now you have the good controls so smash it out of the park and put the v+ deck on it and I will have one on every crew we have rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have scag tiger cat 61"s as my main go to mowers and would love to have "all orange" on my trailers but wont until you put your best foot forward on putting the best deck possible on the machine. I understand your price point but cant imagine you cant still be comparable to the exmark TT after you put the v+ deck on these machines........... Do it, ill buy them!!!!!!! LOL and several others that were at the open house at bramble mower will also from what others told me.......
Thanks for your input!! I had the same response about the deck not being a Velocity. I have now had conversations with several manufacturers I do reviews for. Snapper Pro has taken a huge chunk out of the WB market and is by far the best bang for the buck especially with the ICD deck on a WB at this price point. Everyone is scrambling to regain market share and this was Scags first crack at it. My guess is they will eventually update there other WB's with the Velocity deck with these controls. But my guess is a $6500+ price tag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the old original deck on a scag hydro walk behind, and it does a pretty good job. It looks on the top of the deck, exactly like this one on the new walk behind. Scag said they are similar, except the new one is superior, fanning the clippings out in a better pattern. I think the new design will be fine, unless you are careless, and very hard on equipment. And I think the cut quality will do fine also. I will have one as soon as I can afford it.I think they are gonna be going to the new hydro system on this mower. Exmark now has a new hydro system on their Next generation ztrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you place the machine in reverse? Did you find it nice placing it in reverse?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLCLLC View Post
How do you place the machine in reverse? Did you find it nice placing it in reverse?
Its a hydro WB so you just squeeze the levers to move in reverse. Its the fastest reverse I have used on a WB. Super smooth and strong.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
I have the old original deck on a scag hydro walk behind, and it does a pretty good job. It looks on the top of the deck, exactly like this one on the new walk behind. Scag said they are similar, except the new one is superior, fanning the clippings out in a better pattern. I think the new design will be fine, unless you are careless, and very hard on equipment. And I think the cut quality will do fine also. I will have one as soon as I can afford it.I think they are gonna be going to the new hydro system on this mower. Exmark now has a new hydro system on their Next generation ztrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are talking about the "ADVANTAGE" deck, that was by far and away the worse deck performance wise that I personally have ever used but remember im sure my turf is completely different than yours. I bought a brand new pistol grip 52" with this deck several years back and got rid of it with less than 100 hours on it. You couldn't get away from clumping problems and that was cutting at 3.5" on weekly cuts. the deck prior to that one which was super old style was superior to that deck........ We discussed that deck just the other day at the open house and rep said that deck really hurt them but once they came out with the velocity+ there numbers quickly came back and I believe him....

As for cut quality on this "new" swzu, It simply isn't as good as velocity although it may be "fine"........... This is all talking about grass in my area which is 90% chaulked full of clover, dandilions, and what ever else grows. The velocity does it fine but before the velocity deck came along I went through all the red mowers on the planet, bobcat, and so on and so on and you just double cut your brains out ESP with the ultra cut exmark decks..... In perfect conditions I believe they are all great but I can tell you we go mow at 7:00 in the morning with heavy dew and make yards look like our competitors do when they show up at 10:30-11:00 every morning with whatever red color mowers they have. I cant tell you how many competitors have asked me how we do it in the heavy dew and my answer is the same. its the deck....... There are 2 different competitors near me that asked me this that later made the switch to orange. One last year and one the year before. they both ran exmark everything. They both are just like us now and run scag riders now and there steep hillside/ditching mower is exmark 48's which we have all decided we would dump if scag would get going on getting a velocity deck on this new mower discussed in this post. We would all love to have all orange mowers!!!!!!! Get on it SCAG!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, my dealer told me last week this model will be available in a 52" with electric start in February or March for $5500
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, my dealer told me last week this model will be available in a 52" with electric start in February or March for $5500
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to know!! Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

So Scag are aiming for a wider market with a lower price, but the pros who want top notch cuts want the better deck with the other features it has.

Simple: Scag need to offer the Velocity deck as an option, then they cover both markets.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
If you are talking about the "ADVANTAGE" deck, that was by far and away the worse deck performance wise that I personally have ever used but remember im sure my turf is completely different than yours. I bought a brand new pistol grip 52" with this deck several years back and got rid of it with less than 100 hours on it. You couldn't get away from clumping problems and that was cutting at 3.5" on weekly cuts. the deck prior to that one which was super old style was superior to that deck........ We discussed that deck just the other day at the open house and rep said that deck really hurt them but once they came out with the velocity+ there numbers quickly came back and I believe him....

As for cut quality on this "new" swzu, It simply isn't as good as velocity although it may be "fine"........... This is all talking about grass in my area which is 90% chaulked full of clover, dandilions, and what ever else grows. The velocity does it fine but before the velocity deck came along I went through all the red mowers on the planet, bobcat, and so on and so on and you just double cut your brains out ESP with the ultra cut exmark decks..... In perfect conditions I believe they are all great but I can tell you we go mow at 7:00 in the morning with heavy dew and make yards look like our competitors do when they show up at 10:30-11:00 every morning with whatever red color mowers they have. I cant tell you how many competitors have asked me how we do it in the heavy dew and my answer is the same. its the deck....... There are 2 different competitors near me that asked me this that later made the switch to orange. One last year and one the year before. they both ran exmark everything. They both are just like us now and run scag riders now and there steep hillside/ditching mower is exmark 48's which we have all decided we would dump if scag would get going on getting a velocity deck on this new mower discussed in this post. We would all love to have all orange mowers!!!!!!! Get on it SCAG!
I remember when the Advantage deck first came out replacing Scags bull nose deck. The Advantage was on par for decks of that time. When the Velocity + deck came out it changed the industry. Cutting in wet, weedy and tall grass without double cutting and clumping. There is a reason the Velocity is the most copied deck in the industry, and has remained unchaged since 2006. The deck on the SWZT was called the "Freedom" deck in Scags original literature. They seem to have dropped that name and my guess is to many thought it came from Scags homeowner machine the Freedom Z.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCo. View Post
So Scag are aiming for a wider market with a lower price, but the pros who want top notch cuts want the better deck with the other features it has.

Simple: Scag need to offer the Velocity deck as an option, then they cover both markets.
Id bet these controls will show up on the SWZ soon. And if Scag brings back the Ultimate(SWZU) with these controls they will have a home run.
Posted via Mobile Device