Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

First post here, just a homeowner looking to buy one of these and this thread caught my eye.

Is this the same filter set-up as Scag's SWZ and SW mowers? How do those filters look after 25hrs?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
My dealer wants $4800 for a 36" is this right?
thats a hydro yes? if so,,, good price
Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Whay does it have a 7 "notch" speed control?

Is the Kawasaki series engine homeowners grade?

What the price?

Wheres he sulky?
I have never seen one around here did not even know we had scag dealers around until I checked earlier this week they look like excellent mowers and well built.

Props to GMLC for another excellent review the review master

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Home View Post
First post here, just a homeowner looking to buy one of these and this thread caught my eye.

Is this the same filter set-up as Scag's SWZ and SW mowers? How do those filters look after 25hrs?
Every kawasaki filter that is non cannister is basically the same as I posted and they accumulate a lot of dust. I don't think there I s another engine option. This would not be a problem for homeower. If I were you I would get the snapper sw20 cheaper and is every bit as good as this unit.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

where is his picture i really love to see it. because im buying like his setup
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
When I was at the dealer they had 6 blown engines and all had less than 6 months use. All from one company. The conclusion so far tooooo much dust. When I checked ours it was loader beyond anything I ever seen.

Attachment 291454

I had dealer to order engine cowen and brackets to put a cannister on mine like on vride.
If you got one of these engines you bette4 get a canister air filter on it. More of these sre failing at local dealer and most have less than one year. An kawasaki is not giving warranty. They claim filter not chwng3d.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Only dealer here that will give a demo is the deere dealer. Everybody else looks at you like you are crazy.
They also lease them out and people turn them back in for sales on 500 hours for new ones thought my buddy up the street was only one that did that but nope.

Have not tried a SCAG only thing missing that I have not tried and am going to soon as I get time.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question to poster named ed2hess:
Why on earth would you modify that machine when it is brand new?
Why would you not take it back to your dealer, or better yet make the dealer or Scag corporate itself come pick it up and get your damn money back?
Why in god's name would you put up with inferior engineering? Like giving away free money do you?

I've stood behind scag for quite a few years now, but I am definitely disliking this new walk behind more and more as the reports come in on it. I would never EVER buy a first year model from any mowing manufacturers. You people that do are paying them (scag) to test their machines for them. In all logic and common sense the mower manufacturers should be paying us for all new first year models they want to(sell) test on the buying pubic and private people. Hell, the dealers around here won't even get the pace reps to show us one let alone demo one. That in itself is the biggest red flag I have ever seen.

We are in the market to buy 5 new walk behinds within the next 4 days. All cash sale. We will not do business with toro/exmark. We will not do business with gravely. We will only do business with ferris or scag for walk behinds. But we have an incompetent ferris dealer that is still 30 miles away. And we will definitely not pay scag the ungodly high prices for their SWZ line up. So we are at a crossroads when my business is counting on a competent manufacturer and their commercial walk behind machines.

Will scag re-engineer this new machine(SWZT) to actually benefit commercial users? My best guess is the bean counters and greed are detracting from the main principle of their business. Profit over quality.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
Profit over quality.
You hit on a good point. I would love to get the new Scag WB mentioned here, but some of the actual components it uses are residential quality. These 3 upgrades would make the SWZT a hit: ZT-3100 transaxles, Kawasaki "FX" series engines, and Scag's Velocity deck. Scag could call it the SWZT Pro because now it would be a true pro-quality machine. They could charge an extra $800 - $1000 for it, and I would gladly pay it.
Scag.....pay attention: If your motto is "Simply the best", you need to produce SIMPLY THE BEST. Anything less substantiates that you are not committed to making SIMPLY THE BEST.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
You hit on a good point. I would love to get the new Scag WB mentioned here, but some of the actual components it uses are residential quality. These 3 upgrades would make the SWZT a hit: ZT-3100 transaxles, Kawasaki "FX" series engines, and Scag's Velocity deck. Scag could call it the SWZT Pro because now it would be a true pro-quality machine. They could charge an extra $800 - $1000 for it, and I would gladly pay it.
Scag.....pay attention: If your motto is "Simply the best", you need to produce SIMPLY THE BEST. Anything less substantiates that you are not committed to making SIMPLY THE BEST.
Why I am sticking with Exmark, Toro, Bob Cat and Gravely Walk behinds these days honestly. They are true commercial walk behinds. I have been trying to like this unit but I simply cannot.

Also Scag needs to beef up the frame on these SWZTs. The old Pro V and SWZU had a pretty thick frame, why does this one look so thin?
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T

Last edited by Church2224; 05-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.