Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Home View Post
First post here, just a homeowner looking to buy one of these and this thread caught my eye.

Is this the same filter set-up as Scag's SWZ and SW mowers? How do those filters look after 25hrs?
Depends......if engine is the same yes. You need to get unit with cannister filter.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
Why I am sticking with Exmark, Toro, Bob Cat and Gravely Walk behinds these days honestly. They are true commercial walk behinds. I have been trying to like this unit but I simply cannot.

Also Scag needs to beef up the frame on these SWZTs. The old Pro V and SWZU had a pretty thick frame, why does this one look so thin?

Seems to me everyone here knows metallurgy better than a company called "metalcraft"
Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Seems to me everyone here knows metallurgy better than a company called "metalcraft"
Does not mean we cannot criticize a product we see potential problems with and we are disappointed with when we know the company can do better.

I love Scag mowers, I want to pick up a Cheetah or a Tiger Cat myself, but damn they could have done a better job with this mower.
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Gotta agree, complaints about a thin frame when I've heard no evidence of bent frames. And I hear a lot of critisim of its air filtration, yet it's the same filtration that the SW and SWZ use and how many thousands of those are running around lawns all over America?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our SWZT has over 80 hours on it now. Thing is a tank. My guys prefer it over my Turf Tracers and Vikings.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New cannister put on

Just to be clear these motors are failing in our market and dealer is putting cannister on all units. Kawasaki has not warranted any yet they are examining.
This is the first time they layed this filter flat and that is a problem. Now some of Kohler cheaper units are doing the sqme.

Name:  20140531_135440.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  20140531_175536.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  79.6 KB

I don't like this cheap plastic oil shut off. And unit too low to use normal oil pan so it has to be jacked up.

Name:  20140531_175604.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  52.7 KB

And I got under the unit to see where the hydro oil filers were and ther are none. Not good means more hydro changing.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the 52" electric start model. I love the mower its the best mower i ever used. There is a couple things i would change is bigger caster wheels and little beefier caster frame, the trans axle from 2800 to the 3100 or higher, canister filter, hour meter should be standard, i would use the fx motor, now this deck is a great deck and cuts good and strips great but its not the velocity plus deck is just awesome deck all the way around. They need to offer different models for this mower. One for home owners/entry level mower and one for pros have this current deck for the home owners/entry level and the velocity for the pros. Also the this current setup for home owners/entry level and the upgraded stuff what i said above for the pros. I hope maybe one day they will listen to the users and not the engineers do what they want to and will make the upgrades.
Just remember scag listen to the users whos using these mowers everyday in the field and read the comments.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPMI View Post
I just bought the 52" electric start model. I love the mower its the best mower i ever used. There is a couple things i would change is bigger caster wheels and little beefier caster frame, the trans axle from 2800 to the 3100 or higher, canister filter, hour meter should be standard, i would use the fx motor, now this deck is a great deck and cuts good and strips great but its not the velocity plus deck is just awesome deck all the way around. They need to offer different models for this mower. One for home owners/entry level mower and one for pros have this current deck for the home owners/entry level and the velocity for the pros. Also the this current setup for home owners/entry level and the upgraded stuff what i said above for the pros. I hope maybe one day they will listen to the users and not the engineers do what they want to and will make the upgrades.
Just remember scag listen to the users whos using these mowers everyday in the field and read the comments.
Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!! I will buy one for sure if they put the velocity deck on it........ Love that deck.... I'm tired of having all orange mowers except for my exmark turf tracers..... I'd love to have orange wbs but they have to make one better than the turf tracer before I switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!! I will buy one for sure if they put the velocity deck on it........ Love that deck.... I'm tired of having all orange mowers except for my exmark turf tracers..... I'd love to have orange wbs but they have to make one better than the turf tracer before I switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
you should try one its great mower. i like it alot better then my walker mower
Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Just to be clear these motors are failing in our market and dealer is putting cannister on all units. Kawasaki has not warranted any yet they are examining.
This is the first time they layed this filter flat and that is a problem. Now some of Kohler cheaper units are doing the sqme.

And I got under the unit to see where the hydro oil filers were and ther are none. Not good means more hydro changing.
Failing engines are very concerning, I hope it gets sorted out quickly. As far as the hydro filters perhaps Scag should rewrite their manuals, because they clearly talk about them in there. Can they get anything write about this mower