Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #71  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
For some reason local dealer has got some unit to sell before year end
and I thought we might buy one. What about that engine, is it a new
model? I wasn't thinking about fab work I was thinking about bolting some on off another scag that has em.
Im not aware of any Scags with bolt on anti scalp wheels but I could be wrong. If you could find some you would have to drill holes in the deck to install them. The SWZT has the Kawi FS series engines. They are similar to the FX series minus the nice air filtration system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,861
I looked at one of these the other day and liked just about everything about it except: no Velocity deck and the y use Hydrogear's 2800 transmissions--NOT the 3100. I decided to research these transmissions, and here's what I found directly from Hydrogear....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGYFzTAl70
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
I looked at one of these the other day and liked just about everything about it except: no Velocity deck and the y use Hydrogear's 2800 transmissions--NOT the 3100. I decided to research these transmissions, and here's what I found directly from Hydrogear....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGYFzTAl70
Well that was good information. The snapper sw20 in36" uses the 3100, we run one of those but planned to move to this scag. I don't understand what they imply when they say certain things on the 2800 are optional?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well that was good information. The snapper sw20 in36" uses the 3100, we run one of those but planned to move to this scag. I don't understand what they imply when they say certain things on the 2800 are optional?
I think what they are implying is that a transmission purchased directly from Hydrogear could have certain component options, but I doubt Scag will make them available. Don't get me wrong--Scag makes great equipment. Stick with the SWZ if you get a Scag walk behind, or if you want a good value look at Bobcat mowers.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM
dathorpe dathorpe is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marshall, Va.
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
SWZT CUT QUALITY

So after about two days of cutting with the swzt I have my opinion on cut quality.

The first thing I noticed was the beautiful fan shaped discharge pattern similar to the Velocity deck! The clippings were also on the longer side like the velocity so you will get some carpeting if cutting longer grass. The deck stayed clean through out my demo. I did not get any clumping but did not get a chance to mow any wet grass either. So I do not know how it will do. There is IMO a lot less lift than the velocity deck. I had a hard time getting a clean cut in fine fescue. I started at 3.5" and dropped the deck to 3" and it was more acceptable but not to my standard(which is perfect). In thick lush grass I got an amazing cut with no stragglers at 3" but after 3.5" the quality did drop some(again tells me we need more lift). The deck does need anti scalp wheels as I did get some scalping. My dealer is going to provide feedback to Scag so I hope they can address this.

Getting away from cut quality I do want to comment again that this machine is the smoothest WB I have ever used. It is also the easiest on turf I have ever used. The front end is very light though and I had it come up on me a few times going up hills. I don't know how it will do with a sulky?

So for someone mowing high end smooth properties with thicker grass in the 3"-3.5" range this mower will be amazing for you. For the rest of us I bet some higher lift blades will do the trick!
I had two of my guys pick up the SWZT for a demo yesterday. The properties they were mowing had been fertilized just a few weeks ago and were very green and moderately thick. By the time I arrived, they had already cut three properties. They raved about the cut, the height adjustment on the deck, and the ultra smooth operation. I was anxious to give it a try so I mowed with it for about 15 minutes on the next property. Honestly, everything GMLC said in the above quote is exactly right and spot on with the experience I had running the SWZT. The front end does pop-up going up hills, there was a spot here and there with slight scalping, the cut wasn't great once you got above 3.5 inches. On the "cons", there's really nothing more I can add, he's covered it all very well. He also covered the "pros" very well but I'd like to stress that there are some things on this machine that are outstanding. This is the smoothest operating WB I've ever run. The control in forward or reverse is absolutely excellent. Within minutes of operating this machine, you feel like you've got complete control and could put it in the tightest areas without a problem. Phenomenal. The deck lift is extremely simple and brilliant. Why don't all WB's have a system similar to this? It's just so easy and quick - which is something I definitely want in a WB.

I really liked this machine. Even with the "cons", the "pros" have me thinking I might have to buy an SWZT.



Side note - give a shout out to GMLC. His review of the SWZT is probably the most accurate review I've ever read.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I had two of my guys pick up the SWZT for a demo yesterday. The properties they were mowing had been fertilized just a few weeks ago and were very green and moderately thick. By the time I arrived, they had already cut three properties. They raved about the cut, the height adjustment on the deck, and the ultra smooth operation. I was anxious to give it a try so I mowed with it for about 15 minutes on the next property. Honestly, everything GMLC said in the above quote is exactly right and spot on with the experience I had running the SWZT. The front end does pop-up going up hills, there was a spot here and there with slight scalping, the cut wasn't great once you got above 3.5 inches. On the "cons", there's really nothing more I can add, he's covered it all very well. He also covered the "pros" very well but I'd like to stress that there are some things on this machine that are outstanding. This is the smoothest operating WB I've ever run. The control in forward or reverse is absolutely excellent. Within minutes of operating this machine, you feel like you've got complete control and could put it in the tightest areas without a problem. Phenomenal. The deck lift is extremely simple and brilliant. Why don't all WB's have a system similar to this? It's just so easy and quick - which is something I definitely want in a WB.

I really liked this machine. Even with the "cons", the "pros" have me thinking I might have to buy an SWZT.



Side note - give a shout out to GMLC. His review of the SWZT is probably the most accurate review I've ever read.
Thanks brotha!! I appreciate the kind words. I try to be as honest as possible even though some may not like everything I post.

Im glad you finally got your hands on the SWZT. Its a great machine with some of the best features I have experienced on a WB. My feeling is it will be a hit and the few cons WILL be ironed out shortly by Scag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Valk's Avatar
Valk Valk is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 2,721
Any thoughts/experiences on different blade choices to help w/ QOC above 3"?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
~ cut it high ~ let it fly ~
---------------------------------------------------
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Church2224 Church2224 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 422
I was skeptical about this unit but with all the positive reviews about it I might have to check into this. Thanks again for the review GMLC, I might have to get the 36 next year.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,776
We bought a 36" unit today . I noticed 2 things right off that I don't like. The start rop4 pulls out at 90degrees which makes it hard to start when in closed trailer or when a second mower is alongside. That is a kawasaki thing and we have to see if they still carry an optional recoil that comes out a little more to rear. Second thing is thumb operating devices for neutral are hard to operate. To come out of neutral you always go a little bit in reverse, not good. Snapper Pro definitely has better controls. But what heck I won't be running it and not many better units around.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM
dathorpe dathorpe is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marshall, Va.
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We bought a 36" unit today . I noticed 2 things right off that I don't like. The start rop4 pulls out at 90degrees which makes it hard to start when in closed trailer or when a second mower is alongside. That is a kawasaki thing and we have to see if they still carry an optional recoil that comes out a little more to rear. Second thing is thumb operating devices for neutral are hard to operate. To come out of neutral you always go a little bit in reverse, not good. Snapper Pro definitely has better controls. But what heck I won't be running it and not many better units around.
You're absolutely right. I never really thought about it until I read your comment. I'm sure you'd get used to it eventually but in the beginning the thumb gadget is a little awkward to operate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.07945 seconds with 8 queries